What is your definition of a swimbait?

swimbaitunderground

What is your definition of a swimbait?  

965 members have voted

1. 1. What is your definition of a swimbait?

• Any bait that imitates the natural swimming motion of a forage species
    • Any bait 4" or larger that imitates the natural swimming motion of a forage species
    • Any bait 6" or larger that imitates the natural swimming motion of a forage species
    • Any bait 8" or larger that imitates the natural swimming motion of a forage species
    • Any bait 10" or larger that imitates the natural swimming motion of a forage species
    • Any bait 6" or larger
    • Any Bait 8" or larger

For me its any bait that swims naturally like the species of baitfish your trying to mimic. As long as the fish "swims" like what your mimicking should be considered a swim bait. They can be soft plastic hard plastic wood etc. They have to have that swimming motion and not a jerking motion or a side to side motion or an erratic motion. It has to "swim" thats the beauty of it. Now theres different sizes of swim baits. I would say a big swimbait is 8 inches and up, average swim bait for me is 6-8 inches. But I have smaller swim baits about 2inches that swim and you have to know how to make them swim. There not necessarily a cast and retrieve type of bait. Some are that simple while i feel others require a little more finesse..

To me it's any bait that when you have one tied on and someone sees you, they look at you like you're crazy. There are small swimbaits, the sassy shad has been around forever. One of my biggest bass was caught on a Creme lure's lit'l fishy almost 15 years ago. They both mimic the swimming action of a fish but I don't consider them swimbaits just because I'm not targeting big fish with them. When I say I am chunking "swimbaits". I'm fishing for the biggest bass in the lake.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

not a forage specy, i prefer the swimbait who swim and imitate a predator like Deps Bullshooter or Slide-Swimmer250 (for S-action), Highsider, javallon or 4play are my favorite swimbait too.

Swimbait is not a size, it's a way to swim : FLT barroque or zilvia or Deps slide-swimmer 115, or R2S waver 120 are some excellent swimbait and small one .

with me you will have more chance in summer with small sizes with the 8 or 10 inches

Essayez avec cette orthographe : c'est une façon de nager

it is a way to swim

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
i would not call a sinking 6 inch piece of material painted green and black a swimbait... it has to have joints and kick and swim like the species u are imitating

Really though I think overall Hudds swim the closest to how a fish moves most often. Although it can't turn and dart off like a jointed bait fish are not bending all over and moving all around like there spine is unhinged all day. They just swim straight with little movement other then the tail and pectoral fins.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

On the topic of glide I have to say that I believe that it is still mimicking forage. IMHO The difference is in presentation. It's true that fish don't swim in a wide gliding s pattern and it may not be a "natural" style of swim but it still meets the classification of natural looking forage.

Take a hamburger and wrap it in lettuce instead of a bun. It's still a hamburger.

A glide bait looks like a fish and it swims.