Feathered hooks on big glides?

Aaron F

I am having a custom glide made and want to know if feathers on hooks are worth. The bait is 10.5” and I just don’t know if I want to add to the total price. If they are worth it’d be good to know thanks su 

I bit the bullet and got the supplies to tie my own. Cost me around 50 up front but now I can tie on any hook, any size, any colors, any baits.

I haven’t seen a big difference in bites, but I hook more fish on the front hook then I use too. Manny Chee has an awesome video on tying trebles. Worth it if you think it’ll make a difference, best think you can do it try both and see what works better for you.

image.jpg

1 hour ago, Eric Peterson said:

I bit the bullet and got the supplies to tie my own. Cost me around 50 up front but now I can tie on any hook, any size, any colors, any baits.

I haven’t seen a big difference in bites, but I hook more fish on the front hook then I use too. Manny Chee has an awesome video on tying trebles. Worth it if you think it’ll make a difference, best think you can do it try both and see what works better for you.

image.jpg

Hey thanks so much I’ll definitely look into it!

7 minutes ago, swimbaitrookie said:

I've found that some baits don't respond well with the extra drag on the hook.  

Just how much extra is that feathered treble going to cost?

Well when we first figured it out I just went for standard hooks so I haven’t yet asked him... he’s a few weeks in on it so I didn’t wanna bug him without being sure

I feather all of my hooks. If nothing else, superstition. I believe it provides a little camouflage. Furthermore, I believe it provides an area to target.......I DO NOT think fish are swimming up and targeting my hooks just because they're feathered. In my head, in that split second that the bass decide commit to eating/swiping/defending, it makes it go down a little easier if that makes sense.

Like salt on your taters, you don't need it, but why eat it without?

Totally personal opinion though.

I think it's only worth it if the action isn't affected, to keep the hooks tucked against the body (Which helps hide the hook) and if it slows down the sink rate.

On my negotiator the front treble is feathered and the bait sinks very slowly, since i glide the bait slow the treble stays hidden and tucked away much better and the fish always hit that hook over the rear. It seems to give them a target point as well.