Rat Fishing Modifications

LoganKing

I picked up a couple of rago rats on offer up, and both of the lips have been changed and reshaped. I’m new to rat fishing, what shape lip is the best for these rats and should i sand them down to a different shape? Thanks 

66E4684D-88C0-47EC-AA94-E4E6BC25AF78.jpeg

A9F0296D-CE2F-438A-AD4B-756CD89616AC.jpeg

EE7D45E5-9A42-47F9-A3B3-52F63042AD54.jpeg

1B9570C9-42A6-4470-8F54-B6B206B80845.jpeg

Square Bill's have more left & right horizontal kick. Round bills will have more body roll. Ive only had one rat(rago dirty rat) with the triangle pointed lip and it had alot of body roll.  I would fish them first and see how you like the action then cut & sand accordingly.  

57 minutes ago, RatBeater said:

Square Bill's have more left & right horizontal kick. Round bills will have more body roll. Ive only had one rat(rago dirty rat) with the triangle pointed lip and it had alot of body roll.  I would fish them first and see how you like the action then cut & sand accordingly.  

Thanks man i really appreciate the help

@LoganKing If you need some lips to play with hit me up I’ll send you some stock lpo lips you can cut/shape 

if you want em to crank down you can do a coffin style lip like the toxic mink has. 

From the looks of the brown one it would appear they went for a straight wake style, by bending it flat, where if it was reversed it would probably crank down further 

also this may sound obvious but take the hooks off before you start messing with the lips! 

Getting bills out can be challenging dependent on how they were attached. If they are locked in with epoxy you could damage the bait trying to remove them if your not careful. If they are attached with loctite or some sort of super glue, it can be easier without as much risk. By the pictures it looks like a 2 part epoxy, i would be careful. If the baits are not swimming straight you can just tune the line tie and see if that fixes it. If you want them to run a little deeper, just add heavy hooks or weight tape or crimp on weight.  But it looks like they catch, maybe just fish them and enjoy for a while till the fish tell you what they want from them. Nice Rats by the way, Have fun 

Hair dryer is the best bet to soften the epoxy, or leave it in the sun for a few hours usually you can wiggle em out, those look like they’d pop out pretty easy based on how much epoxy is gooped on em 

1 hour ago, LoganKing said:

Ok, maybe i’ll have to try it and see if i can safely remove the lip on the brown one. Can i still buy some lips off you? @chefchris

Dude just send me a pm and I’ll send you a few to mess with, no charge man. I have a lot of parts kicking around