Jon boat dudes

Seahaecker

What's up SU just trying to hear about how it is to fish from a jon boat. I recently moved to Virginia and alot of the local lakes here have an outboard restriction of 9.9 hp. So that being said iv been looking into getting a jon boat with a 9.9 hp. Iv had other boats before just trying to hear pros and cons I know there small and unstable or can be for reference the one I'm looking at is used lowe 14x48. And if your from Virginia or around the area any tips or if you wanna fish let me know. Thanks in advance!

Jon boats rock man. Or a crawdad but if you found a Lowe 1448 you’ll be happy 

the 1448 is probably one of the best one available, super stable, light, lots of room 

that’s what I grew up fishing in, my dad had an 8hp Johnson that worked great. The 9.9 is ideal for the 10hp limit (same up here in RI) but anything 5-9 will also work. Stand up fishing is super easy and doable. 

I had a 1032, that thing felt like a death trap. Was just too narrow for my liking 

1 hour ago, bassbass said:

I have a 10 foot one. Fits in the back of the truck and can be handled by one old guy. Trolling motor, battery, one oar, net, and pfd. Good for getting into places the Skeeter can't.

I used to have a skeeter I loved that boat....

1 hour ago, dominioncaster said:

If you find a 9.9, great, but don't get hung up on it. for a 10-12 ft boat a 3.5 hp motor will get you where you need to be. For me, the main thing with a jon boat is are you going to haul it or trailer it. 

I would like to trailer that would be ideal. 

7 minutes ago, chefchris said:

Jon boats rock man. Or a crawdad but if you found a Lowe 1448 you’ll be happy 

the 1448 is probably one of the best one available, super stable, light, lots of room 

that’s what I grew up fishing in, my dad had an 8hp Johnson that worked great. The 9.9 is ideal for the 10hp limit (same up here in RI) but anything 5-9 will also work. Stand up fishing is super easy and doable. 

I had a 1032, that thing felt like a death trap. Was just too narrow for my liking 

Just what I was looking for thanks chris. Do you still use one if so any ways to make it easier carrying gear and rods with the lack of storage compartments.

23 minutes ago, Seahaecker said:

Just what I was looking for thanks chris. Do you still use one if so any ways to make it easier carrying gear and rods with the lack of storage compartments.

I don’t use one anymore but cause I use my crawdads instead, back of the pickup and super easy to transport/move around 

as far as gear and storage 

I use a Plano utility box (I’ll find the modeL) to carry my baits and my “burse”.
I keep my baits in “document bags” from Home Depot. And the “burse” is this small bag that I keep all my other gear in, scale, pliers, terminal tackle, back up tails/worms for baits, batteries for headlamp, small bug spray. I’ll post some pics/info when I go out to my truck later. I pack light as far as baits, all depending on time/location but usually two bags with hardbaits and 1 with soft baits. 

for rod holders I run a 3 tube/clamp on that @Seb2fn came up with. Things a game changer for small boats. I usually bring 4 set ups, 3 in the holder and one that I’m fishing. See pics below of my set ups (green boat is now for 2 man fishing and the blue is for solo missions) 

A8E92340-4AFD-452E-AD62-7E4DF9F85404.jpeg

F562F144-485E-49A9-B9EB-D62333CE5BC2.jpeg

44952327-91DE-4886-816F-4DEE8BDCF054.jpeg

7 hours ago, chefchris said:

I don’t use one anymore but cause I use my crawdads instead, back of the pickup and super easy to transport/move around 

as far as gear and storage 

I use a Plano utility box (I’ll find the modeL) to carry my baits and my “burse”.
I keep my baits in “document bags” from Home Depot. And the “burse” is this small bag that I keep all my other gear in, scale, pliers, terminal tackle, back up tails/worms for baits, batteries for headlamp, small bug spray. I’ll post some pics/info when I go out to my truck later. I pack light as far as baits, all depending on time/location but usually two bags with hardbaits and 1 with soft baits. 

for rod holders I run a 3 tube/clamp on that @Seb2fn came up with. Things a game changer for small boats. I usually bring 4 set ups, 3 in the holder and one that I’m fishing. See pics below of my set ups (green boat is now for 2 man fishing and the blue is for solo missions) 

A8E92340-4AFD-452E-AD62-7E4DF9F85404.jpeg

F562F144-485E-49A9-B9EB-D62333CE5BC2.jpeg

44952327-91DE-4886-816F-4DEE8BDCF054.jpeg

Yea sweet I have those envelopes/ document bags those rod holders are sweet I apperciate all the info man thank you 

I have a Lowe 1648 with a 9.9 and a 55 lbs thrust trolling motor and I love it. I use the live well in the front bench for storage since I never use it as a live well .  I've  mounted rod holders across the benches on both sides that hold 6 rods each and I built a small casting deck on the front with room for storage underneath.  I prefer to fish the hp restricted  lakes here in Va.  because I can get away from the  @#$%&!,  jet skis, pleasure boaters, and tournaments.  I hardly ever use my old bass boat for that very reason.

6 hours ago, lurejunkie said:

I have a Lowe 1648 with a 9.9 and a 55 lbs thrust trolling motor and I love it. I use the live well in the front bench for storage since I never use it as a live well .  I've  mounted rod holders across the benches on both sides that hold 6 rods each and I built a small casting deck on the front with room for storage underneath.  I prefer to fish the hp restricted  lakes here in Va.  because I can get away from the  @#$%&!,  jet skis, pleasure boaters, and tournaments.  I hardly ever use my old bass boat for that very reason.

Thanks man not used to hp restrictions. I'm by the lone star lakes but I think they are all electric hit western branch a few times.