Anyone with Snakehead experience?

chevro1et

A buddy of mine has been scouting around for new bass fishing spots, and he came across an abandoned snakehead farm.  He visually confirmed there are still live snakehead in the pond.  I've caught a few randomly in the river, but only on conventional gear (frog, swimjig).  I'm thinking that a hardbait is likely to stand up better to the abuse than a big paddletail or Wade Froggs.  Any input, experiences, or suggestions are welcome, of course.

I don't have first hand experience but I have a buddy that targets them and he likes baits that make a commotion. I would think anything that you can rip on the surface and pause will get crushed. Floating TT or freestyle or maybe a punker. Walk a rat. 

I have caught a bunch of bullseye snakehead here in south Florida, but only 1 on a swimbait, and that was on a tiny klash oddly enough. Most all my others have been caught on frogs and chatterbaits. But my suggestion would be some type of crawler that would cause some erratic splashing that you could work really hard and fast, and then pause. Also, maybe try a floating 6" bullshad. Good luck!

1804219266_bullseye(2).thumb.jpg.3131028e2382105766a07537d344c7a6.jpg

4 hours ago, chevro1et said:

A buddy of mine has been scouting around for new bass fishing spots, and he came across an abandoned snakehead farm.  He visually confirmed there are still live snakehead in the pond.  I've caught a few randomly in the river, but only on conventional gear (frog, swimjig).  I'm thinking that a hardbait is likely to stand up better to the abuse than a big paddletail or Wade Froggs.  Any input, experiences, or suggestions are welcome, of course.

Some of the things I learned in Thailand was that snakeheads hate and I mean hate, a red crankbait. I know its conventional but thats what I had luck on. Yo-yo a rat-L-trap back and they'll hit it. 

12 hours ago, dominioncaster said:

I don't have first hand experience but I have a buddy that targets them and he likes baits that make a commotion. I would think anything that you can rip on the surface and pause will get crushed. Floating TT or freestyle or maybe a punker. Walk a rat. 

10 hours ago, hydrocephalic said:

I've caught them on the buzzjet when fishing in Florida. Those lures sound like someone dragging the recycling down to the curb.

I think I have just the bait, an older Korean dude gave it to me last year, and I never fished it... a bass lipless wake with a metal tail it it that splashes and clangs and really brings the ruckus when aggressively worked. I will dig it out and snap a pic or two tonight or tomorrow. 

Any noisy top water. They like to be under things so run it along grass Matt’s and any overhead cover. The problem with them and swimbaits is that they have small mouths, so that even smaller trebles are a hard hook up for them. In DC, fishing the Potomac, a baby Wake and Mini Slammer would produce, but I’d go 1/5 on hook ups with snakeheads. Blue cats are another story...

• 3 weeks later...

Hang on, Let's focus on the fact that your buddy found a Snakehead fish farm!!! That sounds like a crazy good time. I don't know about baits for them, see mostly frogs, toads, and Chatterbaits on the clips and shows I see but I would definitely say a Bullshad floater or wake too bc they can take a beating and keep catching fish. Let us know how it goes. Good luck man.