State Records and Handicaps for SUB Tournaments

SU Crew4

14 minutes ago, Kyle1387 said:

Also question about the mass record for anyone in here. Thats regarded as bs correct? I've seen the pond it was taken out of and there's no way its real unless the dude was actively feeding it

The numbers in the record books are correct, even if people do not agree, there maybe many that are questionable but can't change it.

• 4 months later...

Simplest way to do this would be to express the score as a percentage of a state record rather than giving regions an addition of a set measure of weight. Could also give an added bonus to largest fish overall. Also Montana's state record is 8.80 lbs as of 2009.

(your fish)-(state record)/(state record)=(your score)

3 hours ago, Drewm42 said:

Anyone else feel like Georgia should be part of the 0lb handicap has a bigger state record than all other 0lb states

No. That record is very old and no fish has ever come even close to that since then. Georgia has big fish but their state (world) record is not really representative of what size fish they have there now.

I actually don’t think that George Perry’s world record was legit but that’s just speculation and doesn’t really matter. LOL!

52 minutes ago, Jon P said:

Simplest way to do this would be to express the score as a percentage of a state record rather than giving regions an addition of a set measure of weight. Could also give an added bonus to largest fish overall. Also Montana's state record is 8.80 lbs as of 2009.

(your fish)-(state record)/(state record)=(your score)

SU actually takes into account past entries as well as some other factors (if I’m not mistaken) so that it’s not simply based on state records. The problem with only using state records is that many of the records don’t represent what kind of fish are actually alive and catchable now in a particular state (Georgia is a good example). SU moderators regularly monitor the handicaps and adjust as needed to keep things as fair as possible. 

Also, just to help with your equation, this equation would give you either a negative number or it would give you exactly 1 lb less than your fish’s weight. But, I see where you were trying to go with this. It’s a clever idea. A scoring system could probably work if the right formula was used. 

Edited by Jace D

45 minutes ago, Jace D said:

No. That record is very old and no fish has ever come even close to that since then. Georgia has big fish but their state (world) record is not really representative of what size fish they have there now.

I actually don’t think that George Perry’s world record was legit but that’s just speculation and doesn’t really matter. LOL!

SU actually takes into account past entries as well as some other factors (if I’m not mistaken) so that it’s not simply based on state records. The problem with only using state records is that many of the records don’t represent what kind of fish are actually alive and catchable now in a particular state (Georgia is a good example). SU moderators regularly monitor the handicaps and adjust as needed to keep things as fair as possible. 

Also, just to help with your equation, this equation would give you either a negative number or it would give you exactly 1 lb less than your fish’s weight. But, I see where you were trying to go with this. It’s a clever idea. A scoring system could probably work if the right formula was used. 

To be fair, I have a terrible track record with algebra

@Jace D I gotcha didn’t dig into it that deep. SU has a pretty good system here, but I feel like a 2lb bump for all those southern states is a bit much. I grew up in PA and I know that at least where I grew up the chances of winning the tourney are pretty slim. Also, I would only get half a pound more than southern states with much bigger fish, a lot more of them, and a much longer growing season. Glad I’m in Florida all winter and can chase some real pigs!

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
On 6/21/2022 at 2:17 PM, BayAreaAngler said:

Large small spotted. 

I feel smallmouth and spotted bass deserve handicaps. In my current opinion…