Oh She CHOKED IT Last Night - Castaic Lagoon

midnightbite

Man this felt good. This is my first 8" Hudd fish. I got my first Hudd fish Friday night on a 68 Special. That was cool but I felt like it didn't really count. Went out again last night and started out with the 68 Special again. Threw that for an hour or so with no bites. The conditions had changed. The clouds moved off so it got clear and cool. I thought to myself, they don't want to mess with this little 68 in this colder weather and you need to get the 8 incher dialed in anyway. So I tied on the REAL Hudd. 8" ROF 12 in HoldOver.

This fish wanted that Hudd DEAD. She about ripped the rod out of my hand. She went 6 pounds even, and I've got some much bigger fish out of the Lagoon, but there were moments during this fight where I thought I had something truly huge.

I've learned a lot about swimbaiting this year through experience and info from you guys on this board. This fish was a good lesson. The confidence in the Hudd is obviously crucial, but I now understand why some of you guys are so obsessed with bigger reels, heavy gears, and over-sized reel handles. This freaking 6 pounder battled me to a stalemate a couple times. I couldn't hardly turn the reel handle on her. Crazy and awesome.

Look how she choked this thing! That Hudd's in there talking about PEEEK ABOOOO!! So sick.

-Dax

post-965-14252987555951_thumb.jpg