River Glide Eater

porkmeatballs

My brother and I decided to take a trip out to a small river system a couple days ago. This particular fishery is affected by the tides, so we have slowly been getting a feel for how the fish move around and behave throughout the day. The fishing was pretty tough throughout most of the morning. I only managed a few dinks and lost a decent one on a Mauler crank. About 6 hours into the trip, the water level was at its lowest point due to the outgoing tide. It was about 95 degrees out and the bite had completely shut off. After a good while I decided to chuck my Bravo glide around for a bit. I moved my yak to the shaded shoreline and proceeded to work the glide down the bank. I bombed the Bravo below a big oak tree and started swimming it back slowly. As soon as I gave my rod the old double twitch I got absolutely hammered! I thought it was a giant largie until I got closer and saw it thrashing. After a while of drag peeling, kayak pulling, and me screaming like a little girl, my brother managed to net the beast. 34" striper that broke my previous striper pb by more than 20" :P. After taking a few pictures and releasing her, I noticed that both ends of my snap had been blown open! After retying, I got one more striper to smack the Bravo, but didn't hook up. Hopefully I'll get onto a few more of these tanks soon!

IMG_1739.JPG

IMG_1732.JPG

IMG_1749.JPG

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Finally got onto another striper! I was fishing the glide with aggressive twitches when I saw the striper hit and move my line a few feet to the side. As I was fighting the striper, I saw another about the same size shoot out and try to steal the bait out of the first one's mouth! Would've been such an awesome double if I had stuck both haha. I only got a few pictures of the fish before it slipped out of my kayak

IMG_2328.JPG

53 minutes ago, CG_Fishes said:

great fish, I love when schooled fish try to eat the bait out of another fish's mouth. I have had it happen with largemouth before

I have yet to catch a double. Seeing two solid stripers fighting over my glide really got my heart pumping!

Update: Went on another striper mission today and lost my lucky chartreuse glide. I lobbed the glide next to a submerged bush, gave it a few small pops, and got one of the hardest hits that I have ever felt! The fish (I'm assuming it was a solid striper) shot off to the side and started peeling drag. Unfortunately, my drag wasn't set properly and I was at a bad angle to fight the fish. Long story short, the striper snapped my line and swam off with one of my favorite baits :-( 

10 minutes ago, porkmeatballs said:

Update: Went on another striper mission today and lost my lucky chartreuse glide. I lobbed the glide next to a submerged bush, gave it a few small pops, and got one of the hardest hits that I have ever felt! The fish (I'm assuming it was a solid striper) shot off to the side and started peeling drag. Unfortunately, my drag wasn't set properly and I was at a bad angle to fight the fish. Long story short, the striper snapped my line and swam off with one of my favorite baits :-( 

That’s a bummer but I’d rather lose a bait to fish......