Dobyns Fury 795 or 806

Trevor L

I am looking into getting into the swimbait game and I have been doing a ton of research.  I still can not decide between the fury 795 or 806.  The 795 say 1-5 oz and the 806 says 2-8 oz.  I have heard that the ratings are not perfect.  I would like to throw many different kinds of baits; s-waver 168s 200s 6 inch bull shads, shine glides, magdrafts, citizen 7s, 6 inch huds, maybe 8 inch huds, baitsanity antidote, and anything in between.  Basically looking for any advice on rods because there are no stores around me which sell swimbait rods.  Thank you for any input at all.

I just got into throwing big swimbaits this summer and I bought a Fury 795. I definitely agree 3.5oz is the max you want to go on that rod. Most of the baits you listed would fit on the 795 but if I did it over again I would get the 806. It has a wider range and even if it doesn't go up to 8oz it still will hold heavier baits and a wider variety of baits. I never thought I would go above 4oz but now knowing everything I do know I want to throw some of the bigger baits. That's juts my two sense on all of it. 

Don't get the fury 795

If you're going with fury, get the 806

I've had experience with both. Had the 806 for 3 yrs and last black friday I got the fury 795 for my smaller baits. It casts fine, retrieves fine. But it's really soft on the hookset. Imo the softness confuses me at times. I've bumped rocks with crankdowns that were actually bites and couldn't tell right away. To me, that can't happen because that could've been a missed opportunity. But biggest problem for me was the hookset. It's really soft so u wanna swing hard on your hooksets and I never felt 100% confidence I had a fish pinned even though my landing ratio was good. I've since upgraded my fury 795 to champion 795 and although I haven't had the champ long I felt the difference right away. 

If u can swing a champion 795, do it, otherwise go with the fury 806. That's my honest opinion....

Edited by SumoNinja

2 hours ago, danthefisherman said:

The 795 will handle most of the baits you mentioned except maybe the 8" Hudd and bigger soft baits. 1-3.5oz max is what I like to use it for.

I amend my original statement and agree with everything mentioned above. I use my 795 all the time and love it, but it really shines with those smaller treble hook baits. Rarely will I throw a soft bait on the 795 (or ever really haha... I'm a hard bait guy). The 806 has a better range and power if you're trying to find an "everything in between" rod. If the 806 was available to the public when I bought my 795, I definitely would have gone that route instead for its superior versatility.

Edit: I also us my 795 to throw frogs, jigs, big cranks, punch baits, and jigging spoons/spinners for salmon believe it or not... so it's versatile in its own way :D

Edited by danthefisherman

The 795 Will work fine for the smaller baits. But keep in mind the fury is a budget rod. Not bad for the money. The heavier soft baits will go to an 867. I throw all Dobyns rods and have been the last 5 years. I have no complaints but the ratings are over powered. ( a 6 is more a 5 and so on) good luck 

23 minutes ago, Bassboydave said:

The 795 Will work fine for the smaller baits. But keep in mind the fury is a budget rod. Not bad for the money. The heavier soft baits will go to an 867. I throw all Dobyns rods and have been the last 5 years. I have no complaints but the ratings are over powered. ( a 6 is more a 5 and so on) good luck 

Yeah i heard the 795 is good for the light treble hook baits but i heard that it was bad for baits over 3 oz

2 hours ago, danthefisherman said:

The 795 will handle most of the baits you mentioned except maybe the 8" Hudd and bigger soft baits. 1-3.5oz max is what I like to use it for.

Does it feel sturdy still at 3.5 oz or does it feel overloaded?

28 minutes ago, danthefisherman said:

I amend my original statement and agree with everything mentioned above. I use my 795 all the time and love it, but it really shines with those smaller treble hook baits. Rarely will I throw a soft bait on the 795 (or ever really haha... I'm a hard bait guy). The 806 has a better range and power if you're trying to find an "everything in between" rod. If the 806 was available to the public when I bought my 795, I definitely would have gone that route instead for its superior versatility.

Edit: I also us my 795 to throw frogs, jigs, big cranks, punch baits, and jigging spoons/spinners for salmon believe it or not... so it's versatile in its own way :D

Yeah i was mostly looking for a rod for small to medium glides with what i have researched they were both good rods.  They are so close with ratings it is hard to decide.

54 minutes ago, SumoNinja said:

Don't get the fury 795

If you're going with fury, get the 806

I've had experience with both. Had the 806 for 3 yrs and last black friday I got the fury 795 for my smaller baits. It casts fine, retrieves fine. But it's really soft on the hookset. Imo the softness confuses me at times. I've bumped rocks with crankdowns that were actually bites and couldn't tell right away. To me, that can't happen because that could've been a missed opportunity. But biggest problem for me was the hookset. It's really soft so u wanna swing hard on your hooksets and I never felt 100% confidence I had a fish pinned even though my landing ratio was good. I've since upgraded my fury 795 to champion 795 and although I haven't had the champ long I felt the difference right away. 

If u can swing a champion 795, do it, otherwise go with the fury 806. That's my honest opinion....

Do light baits still fell okay on the 806 between 1 and 2 oz.  I cant decide wheter to go fury 795 for small small baits then go champion 807 after or if fury 806 could do most light stuff then go with more of a champion 867.

1 hour ago, nikopap1 said:

I just got into throwing big swimbaits this summer and I bought a Fury 795. I definitely agree 3.5oz is the max you want to go on that rod. Most of the baits you listed would fit on the 795 but if I did it over again I would get the 806. It has a wider range and even if it doesn't go up to 8oz it still will hold heavier baits and a wider variety of baits. I never thought I would go above 4oz but now knowing everything I do know I want to throw some of the bigger baits. That's juts my two sense on all of it. 

Yeah I am trying to look into the future, for now the 795 would fit most needs, but  more versatility would be better off i think right now.

1 hour ago, JoeLo7 said:

I have a champion 795 and a fury 806. I would recommend going with the 806. The 795 good for small treble baits in my opinion. for the baits you listed i would go 806

Could you still throw the swaver 168 on the 806 or is the rod too overpowered?

And another question.  I have heard and read about the tranx 300 saying it is amazing.  But with the recent curado 300 coming out, what would be a better choice.  And if tranx power handle or no power handle. Thank you all so much for the help.