Retrieves for Glide baits

jeffj

Just got a Rago glide bait and was wondering what kind of retrieves work best for this style of a bait? I had lots of followers but no takers yesterday. Wondering if I am doing something wrong???

I emailed him regarding the glideator I bought wanting to roll at a quick retrieve and he replied the bait is designed to be fished slow with a pull reel pull reel retrieve and said he has a version of the glideator available that doesn't roll but didn't really elaborate. I reel mine slow and it works fine. The paint jobs fantastic on it.

I think it's going to depend on the particular bait. All of them I have fished don't fish the same. Some are better right on the surface others are better down in the water etc. I would start with asking the person who made the bait.

+1

And I believe there are ALOT more Huds... on market, than Glides ;)

Just got a Rago glide bait and was wondering what kind of retrieves work best for this style of a bait? I had lots of followers but no takers yesterday. Wondering if I am doing something wrong???

I emailed him regarding the glideator I bought wanting to roll at a quick retrieve and he replied the bait is designed to be fished slow with a pull reel pull reel retrieve and said he has a version of the glideator available that doesn't roll but didn't really elaborate. I reel mine slow and it works fine. The paint jobs fantastic on it.

Not sure if it will help but worth a try, add a split ring to the bait. My buddy had one that had some roll to it, added the ring and helped it some.

Not sure if it will help but worth a try, add a split ring to the bait. My buddy had one that had some roll to it, added the ring and helped it some.

Not a fan of the glideator on a split ring most glideators are best with a snap. And that's straight from rago I know cause I inquired. But.....he also said every bait has its own little personality.

Not a fan of the glideator on a split ring most glideators are best with a snap. And that's straight from rago I know cause I inquired. But.....he also said every bait has its own little personality.

Nice way of saying inconsistent

Yea my bait doesnt roll. I did add a split ring to the nose for better action. Right now I was playing with a steady retrieve and mixing in some twitches with rod tip and chirping handle. Just wanted to see if I am doing the right thing.

Also what rod weights are you using for this? I was using a Loomis 8ft Extra Heavy with 25lb big game. Not sure if stepping down a rod weight is needed for action or to let the fish take the bait.

Nice way of saying inconsistent

-

I was about to post the same thing! :?

I use five different glides and they are all different. I have better success with a twitching retrieve or twitch pause. I use loop knots, I dont believe any of these baits would work well with any connection that did not allow free movement.

Some baits can be worked fast, but most work best at a slow steady retrieve.

ok by no means an expert at all on the glides, but when I get new baits of any kind I like to go through alot of hardware options to see all the bait is capable of. How does it work on a split ring vs. no split ring, with larger hooks, smaller hooks, line size, weight added to the front, some added to the rear. It doesnt take much time to do. Example, on that SS gill i posted video of, if its on a snap and not tied direct it has a really cool "hunting" action. It will swim normal then kind of dive left a little, come back to center then dart right or left again. Most baits can have their own personality and its helps me to try alot of option to see what each one is really capable of.