Shimano Calcutta Conquest A Casting Reel advise

Bucketmouth559

need advise my SU bro's..   i recently purchase a G.loomis  -e6x 965c swbr 8ft heavy rod .. now i know i Want to get a Shimano Calcutta Conquest A Casting Reel.. just don't know what size to get 400 or 300 ? my local tackle shop don't carry them so i can't see them in person im planning to order from tackle warehouse just need some advise... im going to use FC 20lb and throwing 2-6 oz swimbaits... please any and all information or feedback is welcome. for all i know that reel might be over kill for what i need ,thing just looks like a beast and ive always wanted one...   

I throw 2 oz baits on my 400 no problem. Sometime if there’s some wind I do have to turn the brakes up to 3 on (usually just stick with 2 on for big baits). Synchronized line lay is such a quality of life feature for me as i always pull line after a cast to try and keep my line even on my other reels. Crazy nice reel if they weren’t so expensive I’d own several

I have to vote 300. Based on personal preference I use my conquest 400 with 30lb mono. I have three 300s and they run 20 mono, 20 fluoro, and 65 braid. Super versatile reel.

you’ll be happy regardless of which you choose I think, but for that rod/application I think 300 would be enough. 

6 hours ago, brootalititties said:

I throw 2 oz baits on my 400 no problem. Sometime if there’s some wind I do have to turn the brakes up to 3 on (usually just stick with 2 on for big baits). Synchronized line lay is such a quality of life feature for me as i always pull line after a cast to try and keep my line even on my other reels. Crazy nice reel if they weren’t so expensive I’d own several

ive scored mine off ebay for $405-430 brand new the two i bought, have to wait for the deal to pop up, but it happens once every 4-6 weeks, usually 1 or 2 listed for that price. I got em in 5 days from japan and im on the east coast 

10 hours ago, brootalititties said:

thanks for the information i was worry about not being able to throw 2oz bait well 

6 hours ago, Bass_blaster said:

I have to vote 300. Based on personal preference I use my conquest 400 with 30lb mono. I have three 300s and they run 20 mono, 20 fluoro, and 65 braid. Super versatile reel.

you’ll be happy regardless of which you choose I think, but for that rod/application I think 300 would be enough. 

by any chance is there any  way you can take a picture of them side by side (300&400) for size comparison since you have both?

2 hours ago, dqb said:

300, it can handle everything 400 can so go bigger? You’re save 1/2 ounce and only giving up 10yards of 20# capacity

really only 10 yards of 20lb ? wow that's not much of a different between the two if the 400 only carries 10 yards more

3 minutes ago, Bucketmouth559 said:

really only 10 yards of 20lb ? wow that's not much of a different between the two if the 400 only carries 10 yards more

Shimano website shows the 400 hold 170 yards of 65lb power pro (approximate diameter of 20lb flouro/mono) vs 125 on the 300. Whether you need that extra 45 yards is debatable but it definitely holds more than 10 extra yards of line.

23 minutes ago, brootalititties said:

Shimano website shows the 400 hold 170 yards of 65lb power pro (approximate diameter of 20lb flouro/mono) vs 125 on the 300. Whether you need that extra 45 yards is debatable but it definitely holds more than 10 extra yards of line.

thanks Chris for clearing that up great information brother