Carving Tools/Blades

chefchris

any suggestions for blades/gouges/tools etc? 

Not trying to buy crazy expensive set or anything. 

looks like a need 3/8 round gouge and exacto style blade knife. 

but anything else you guys can recommend for face carving, more detail? 

Can always PM me if its easier or some type of secret! 

Wait... You guys don't use an old Schrade pocket knife while sitting in a rocking chair on the front porch in your bib overalls, drinking out of a mason jar with a hound dog sleeping beside you? That's how imagine you all when you talk about carving these things. 

• 2 weeks later...

I found a local guy who sells blanks and slabs and he had a pretty good collection of basswood, picked all this up for $35 not sure if that’s a great price or not. I found some suppliers online where basswood 2x2 blanks seemed cheaper, but going an buying it in person is more appealing to me. Also i am waiting on this set of knifes to show up, i actually asked the guy i bought the wood from if he preferred one brand over another and he said you can’t really go wrong with flexcut tools. Hope to get started this next week 

0E03DAF0-D7BE-4664-8E27-982C81308A9D.jpeg

1A45C5DE-696A-4930-8753-16392A396CE4.png

Glue a piece of leather from the fabric store to a paint stick and you'll be good! I have the same knives among many others and as long as you keep them sharp with the strop and compound you'll have no issues and no need for a sharpening stone.