Snaps for Swimbaits

fish4bas

I have used the larger ones on my hardbaits before. But I have not tested them against anything over 8lbs. 30lb line and 7lbers have had no problems yet...

Edit-- actually I was using the berkley cross locks

With the Tactical Anglers clips, I use the small ones for most baits and the medium ones for very large baits with a fat eyelet for the line tie. 90% of the time, I just tie directly, but when I do use a clip, these are the ones I like best.

Of all my baits, there are only two where I liked snaps. Not sure it it's just me, but snaps have a very different action from just a split ring. I've even tried a snap to split ring to bait, it didn't work so well. lol

I never leave my baits tied on after fishing, I retie very often to help make sure my knots are strong.

Having said that, when I do use snaps- it's the ones made by Decoy.

When i fish crankbaits,jerkbaits,etc. i use a Norman speed clip. They work great easy change out an i never had one pull apart or open. They are kinda like a split ring. But for my swimbaits i tie stright on. That way i remember to check my knots an re tie.

When I use snaps, I tend to go with the Luhr-Jensen Duo-locks in the two largest sizes. I take a pair of needle nose pliers to them, and bend down the little hook that holds the wire opposite the snap portion down a bit.

Decoy Snap #5 is solid

Ben speaks the truth. I've never had one open by accident. I have a good friend that turned me onto these about 5 years ago and they are indeed solid. I personally witnessed a 30lb striper caught while he was using one.

I either tie direct or to a split ring. These Decoy snaps, is it the Egg Snap you guys use?

I agree with Ben + Infidel, the Decoy snap are all I use for both LM and big New England Northern Pike and have never had 1 open. # 4 + #5 are the 2 I like best.

Here's a picture of them for you Eoso.

post-229-14252987754627_thumb.jpg