New Mike Bucca/Dobyns SB Rod

253caster

I’m having a hard time not grabbing it. I think it’s going to act as a less expensive, slightly shorter 867 in a sense. Just with a slightly smaller max range. I was talking to Bucca and he said that’s exactly it. Should have more parabolic tendency than an 806 because it’s longer, allowing to toss and even lighter bait, while having a heavier max weight as well because of the length. A 1.5-6oz rod essentially. 

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got a chance to get out and try it out. I think this rods gonna be a hit. It has the potential to be a great budget glide rod. I threw the Billrilla first(4oz) and it threw it like there was almost nothing there. After I fished it for awhile I tied on and threw an 8.5 Hiro(5oz) around with ease. Didn't have anything heavier but I'm going to try one of my 6oz baits next time and see how it feels. Expect a full review on YT sometime in the spring.

IMG_20201230_133733.jpg

20 minutes ago, NEbucketmouth19 said:

I'm curious how it compares to the 867? 

Me as well. @253caster what would you say? As parabolic? Lighter or heavier action as the 867? I know this rod was built on a whole new blank so I’m wondering which line of already existing rods it would compare to. I’d like to think it’s as nice of a rod as a champion, but feel like for $160 less it probably can’t be. But perhaps they sacrificed sensitivity as it’s not as much needed for a rod designed specifically for hard baits?

1 hour ago, NEbucketmouth19 said:

I'm curious how it compares to the 867? 

1 hour ago, Mossypumpkin said:

Me as well. @253caster what would you say? As parabolic? Lighter or heavier action as the 867? I know this rod was built on a whole new blank so I’m wondering which line of already existing rods it would compare to. I’d like to think it’s as nice of a rod as a champion, but feel like for $160 less it probably can’t be. But perhaps they sacrificed sensitivity as it’s not as much needed for a rod designed specifically for hard baits?

It feels similar to the 867, but maybe heavier in the tip. Seems just as parabolic. Had someone hold the handle and bent the blank from the tip and it seemed to flex to somewhere near halfway down the rod length. 

A friend of mine was on the phone with someone at Dobyns customer service to track his and the guy told him he has been wearing them out on that rod and he feels its closer to a 7 power. After fishing it I can say it's definitely beefier than the 806 Fury and basic Champion blanks, which I own. I think I can agree it's leaning toward a 7 power. 

10 minutes ago, 253caster said:

he feels its closer to a 7 power

Correct. Bucca told me that Gary said it would technically be a 6.5 power rod but obviously they weren’t gonna call it that. Interesting...I was hoping it would be a little lighter than the 867. Must be killer for 4-8oz

• 11 months later...
1 minute ago, 253caster said:

Still loving mine. Been wearing them out with it since I bought it. I love using it for topwaters and some glides. 

Appreciate it my dude. I just ordered one from American Legacy Fishing for $176.36 after tax and FedEx Priority shipping. The Komodo SS 463 may end up being too big for it, but we'll find out soon enough!