Baitsanity Antidote

rwp

This bait doesn't seem to get a lot of attention. I've been fishing my Baitsanity antidotes for a little bit now. I have two of them, in the slow sink version. (This is the version that sinks FASTER).

First lets talk about hardware. Throw the stock stuff out. It comes in the bottom of the tube, Baitsanity doesn't even put it on the bait, you shouldn't either.

I upgraded mine with spro power rings, number 5, which are 90lb and Gamakatsu 4x hooks. I put a 1/0 upfront and a #1 in the back. I rig most of my baits like this, but I am not sure its working for these, it kind of gets this nose down droop, followed by a nose up when you twitch the rod or crank the reel. I think 1/0 front and rear is going to work better.

The bait swims really nice. Wide glides and its really responsive. A steady retrieve gets a nice back and forth swim.

With all that being said, this bait is insanely hard to fish. While you can get extremely aggressive with the action, the bait sinks SOOOOOOOOOO slow that almost anything more than a movement or two causes it to break the surface.

This is probably going to be a fantastic winter/ultra slow bait, but at speeds above that, its pretty much on the surface. I could not image using the ultra slow sink.

Again, this is with beefy rings, and 4x hooks. I am debating even trying number 6 rings along with the 1/0 hooks front and rear just to add some weight. I am not sure if the bigger ring and hook with catch the tail section, so I will have to check that out.

original_d662f5a2-6ea7-42a5-bf1d-fbae7ea19525_IMG_20201204_134359109.jpg

The XSS version is more of a heavy float. I generally will fish the explorer over the antidote unless I’m around spotted bass. Mainly using the slow sink with some lead tape under the belly. I really would like to try quads on it since it’s mainly a spotted bass bait for me, I think that would help a lot for hookups, but as far as Caidence  and performance I love it as a smaller glide. 

In my experience with them they are similar to a crankbait where out of four I have one that runs perfectly (XSS) and three that I have issues nosing up. The “one” is incredibly controllable and stabile for a bait of that price but like I said it’s one of multiple. I’m going to be playing with my others over the holidays to see if I can improve them. I’ll let you know if i find anything that works. 

That new 2nd Gen looks awesome with that tail option. Sadly only in the 9 inch version which I won't be buying. The smallies here hit the 175 pretty good but not a 250..so this is sad. Sort of off topic but I dont own the 7 in this either. Looks like a cool bait and swims good from videos I've seen. 

• 4 weeks later...

Fished this again today, finally. 1/0 hooks front and rear now with #5 rings. It sinks great, but tends to point itself up quite a bit.

I think I will swap the front ring and the nose ring from #5's to #'6s. I suspect that will get it swimming great!