Supertuning reels

dawg1419

Once again Garriga someone offers good advice and you write a "Book" on how or why it can't be! How's that 40 lb. line on your hudd 68 with your Dobyns 867 working out for you? :lol: Why don't you send a reel to Geoff and then write something?

Once again Garriga someone offers good advice and you write a "Book" on how or why it can't be! How's that 40 lb. line on your hudd 68 with your Dobyns 867 working out for you? :lol: Why don't you send a reel to Geoff and then write something?

Considering I was the first to respond. Based on the argument you make above, all that followed were "Book" on how or why it can't be!

How about we put aside personal bias towards each other and do what forums are for. Exchange information and let the readers decide what's best for them. Attempting to bully another into not contributing is not the essence of why these boards exist. We all have our opinions and should feel free to express them without persecution from those who chase one around the Internet making unwarranted attacks.

It's a new year so lets clean the slate and communicate like adults. You feel that reels should be super tuned than to go ahead and express your beliefs. I'll do the same as I see fit.

Here's a productive question as it pertains to throwing big baits. Place two identical reels on identical rods with identical line and identical preferred bait and make several casts on a football field by the same individual with the same break setup and cast control tension. Only variable is one being straight out of the box and the other being super tuned with all the bells and whistles. Reel must be a high end product like a Calcutta, Z2020 or Ryoga. Show me the results. In the same hands I doubt you'd see better then 10% improvement. Might be worth it to some and I'm not saying they shouldn't invest the funds or effort if they do but it's not worth it to me.

The OP asked a question and I answered it. May not be what another or the OP wanted to hear but was my honest assessment of super tuning based on my experience. The reader or OP can choose to do as they wish. Including ignoring what I just wrote. This isn't China. No reason to censor what others wish to contribute.

Hopefully going forward we can both engage in productive adult conversation void of personal attacks or unwarranted digs.

Since you asked, loving the setup with my 867, Calcutta D 401 stock and 30#Tritanium plus Seaguar Premier 40# leader and an 8" Hudd. Getting 50 yard cast with ease and doing so for 4 hours plus continuously. Did have a female well beyond the 24" length come in hot and nip my Hudd inches from my feet. This was before I added the Fluoro leader and running straight 30# green line in gin clear water that rivals the Florida keys and any aquarium I've visited. I'm so happy with the setup that I ordered a 908 and my other Calcutta D 401 should arrive today. Thanks for asking and let me know if you need anything else. Oh, have an amazing satisfying day. :)

communicate like adults.

Hopefully going forward we can both engage in productive adult conversation void of personal attacks or unwarranted digs.

Isn't "communicate like adults," which implies that everyone who responded here is a child, a personal attack or "dig" ?

You're a funny dude, but more like that clown Pesci was referring to and less "funny haha"

I embrace my immaturity and assure you it will outlast your thinly veiled elitist BS.

I'm not going to get into this again, you obviously believe highly of yourself, as we can all see.

I never claimed it would magically double casting distance, nor did i say it would be a vast improvement upon higher end reels like Z2020's or Plutons, and yes, i've worked on those as well. It all comes down to who works o your reels, and what they are capable of.

I also don't spout out everything that I do, for obvious reasons. It's apparent that you are very stubborn in what you do, and how you perceive other people's post, and it's a bummer.

I'll continue doing what i do, and improving my customers reels, whether they can cast 80 yards or not. Have a wonderful day ;)

Geoff

communicate like adults.

Isn't "communicate like adults," which implies that everyone who responded here is a child, a personal attack or "dig" ?

You're a funny dude, but more like that clown Pesci was referring to and less "funny haha"

I embrace my immaturity and assure you it will outlast your thinly veiled elitist BS.

No. Not the community but who I was quoting. Let me be clear. Only who I was quoting. Although, you do need to consider your own reaction and perhaps it could have been done in a less hostile approach. I like Joe Pesci and I saw the movie you're eluding to. I'm not trying to be funny in any way and merely trying to provide some experience and holefully gather some advise from those who have done what I haven't. That's all.

Having said that, perhps understanding what was said or asking for clarification is a better coarse taken versus assuming the worse. Problem with the Internet is lack of facial expressions to fully understand one's tone or direction. Perhaps in the future you will just ask me what I meant or PM for clarification.

If I come a across as an elitis than please understand that is not my intention and perhaps just how I talk.

Why super tuning a reel?

For me it’s more personal preference because I want to get the best out of my reels. I have high end reels and some not so high end reels. But after super tuning a few of my reels there is no going back hands down it’s worth it. Had Animal house super tuned my Lexa right out of the box and compared it from a NIB stock Lexa big difference in smoothness and crackin feel. I also have a Z2020shl and a 401 conquest that are tuned big difference from before and after.

I don’t think super tuning is for everyone but if you can and would like the best bang out of your reel while fishing with confident “do it†:ugeek:

communicate like adults.

If I come a across as an elitis than please understand that is not my intention and perhaps just how I talk.

He's not an elitist, he just talks like an elitist........ In more relevant concern, I just traded for two used chronarchs I am planning on upgrading/supertuning & handle upgrades ASAP! Excited to add them to the arsenal for 2013, hopefully theyll turn out good.

Explain what it is and what the benefits are.

Geoff did a good job explaining both the process and the benefits but there's an analogy I use sometimes that may also help explain it.

If you are a car guy, it's like 'blueprinting' the engine. You are not swapping out the parts, you are just modifying them so they work together better, with less friction. In a car, I've picked up 10-15% more power just by going through the motor and lightening some parts, polishing others, making sure things are more perfectly balanced, etc.

It doesn't change the basic design, it is kind of like making it as if the same item was more carefully assembled by hand instead of mass produced. The engineers that designed the reel would love to spec the parts (especially the gears) so that they were polished for lower friction, used more expensive lubricants, had better bearings, etc. but the realities of mass-production and price-points just don't allow for it, even in high-end reels. What this process does is basically clean up some of the compromises made in the production process.

I hope that helps and didn't just muddy the water further.

He's not an elitist, he just talks like an elitist........

You guys are unbelievable. Still with this crap. Sound like a bunch of bickering old envious woman who can't afford the real thing so you cover it in vinyl. Here's an idea. Buy something good and you don't have to pimp it to make it feel real.

I tried to be civil but screw that. You guys want to play. Let's play. Luckily for you guys mommy isn't far away and can calm the nerves after getting your feelings smacked.

BTW, do you even know what an elitis is? The other emotional break down probably didn't and I doubt you do. Bought a new reel to get pimped or someone's no longer wanted and just got upgraded. Buy a 316 and sell a 3:16. Dam black market is a wannabe eBay. At least learn how to do it right. And what's the deal with all the peanut gallery out of the wood work garbage just because one of your fallen might have been scraped. Don't you guys know how to stand up for oneself or must there always be the typical tampon party must unite. Seriously, what in God's good name could I have possibly done that requires all this dumb abuse? What, me telling the truth that super tuning is a scam. Want a nice reel, go save up and buy one. Can't afford it, too bad. We don't all get what we want. No way does changing bearings and polishing a Cardiff turn it into a TE. No way. Want a TE then go buy it. Have a TE, don't sell me some crap that tuning it is going to make it better. Only in the mind of the one who wants to believe that. I have Zs and Pluton that were upgraded with better spool bearings and they didn't get better. Smooth enough as is so why would I super tune it. The tuner himself told me I was nuts for even considering it. There's another forum that only deals in tackle. These guys are tackle junkies to the max and they will tell you not to tune a Z or TE and once you get past a 1/4 oz there's no benefit in doing anything other than to pamper one's ego so they can go around saying they tuned their reels. Sound like guys that have no clue what you are talking about or the guy who buys a fake Rolex so he can look cool. Seriously. I tuned my reel therefore I'm so cool. Get a reality check. You fish. That's it. Not hitting home runs or scoring touch downs to impress the cheer leaders. You fish. That's it. And so do I but I don't go around saying I tuned my reel. Look at me. Or post pic after pic to prove I know how to catch a fish. It's a fish. Not brain surgery. Get it. Oh, this was directed at everyone that had a dumb comment to make today. Let me be clear. Everyone who made a dumb comment today. Want to play like children. Then be treated like children. Now go play with your fish while the elitis go to sleep knowing their garage is full of reels not in need of tuning. They are real reels and not soon to be pimped out wannabees. Nighty night. I'll read all the dumb replies in the morning while I'm taking my am crap. Might as well mix new crap with old crap I'm removing. Seem appropriate. Oh, wait I'm going to tune my butt so it craps smoothly and launches them 80 yards into the abys without a single strain or extra effort on my part. We can call it super tune ish.