Low Down Custom Rod orders

mjaygrunt

Has any one ordered a rod from LDC as of last year? The reason I ask is because I placed an order last Feb and have heard very little to nothing about my order. I am wondering if it’s just my luck or is others experiencing this. Ben did communicate ONCE that due to Covid supplies are hard to get. That was at the beginning of the summer..... 

3 minutes ago, mjaygrunt said:

Has any one ordered a rod from LDC as of last year? The reason I ask is because I placed an order last Feb and have heard very little to nothing about my order. I am wondering if it’s just my luck or is others experiencing this. Ben did communicate ONCE that due to Covid supplies are hard to get. That was at the beginning of the summer..... 

I spoke with him the other day about a similar issue. You should contact him again, I think maybe a few of us slipped through the cracks. I’m confident that he will make it right, in all of my past dealings with him he has never given me reason to believe otherwise. He can be a little difficult to get in touch with sometimes, but I’m sure he will get you taken care of. 

I went with Brad at F5 custom rods and couldn't be happier.  I had 5 rods built by Brad (plus one more in line for being built now) and they turned out great and all 5 were built on time and with communication along the way.  I looked into going with LDC and MOAM during my search for a builder.  MOAM dropped me like a hot rock for some reason after ironing out exactly what I was looking for in my rods, I emailed him several times to find out why he dropped me for no reason, but got zero response.  Ben responded to my inquiry on the 5 rods, but he only did spiral wrapping and wouldn't do the "traditional straight wrap".  I wanted the traditional straight guides so that's why I didn't go with LDC.

As mentioned above, it looks like customer orders have "fallen through the cracks" with other builders???  How hard is it to keep a simple excel spreadsheet of customer orders?!?!?  If I "fell through the cracks" with a builder, I'd ask for a refund and go elsewhere!

Reach out to Brad at F5, you won't be disappointed... 

Good luck. 

To add to what @18RangerZ520L said - The guy who runs Nameless Custom Rods is super responsive and wants to make sure you get exactly what you are looking for.  Full disclosure - I have not ordered a rod from them since the name change from Revelation > Nameless, but i've communicated with him on IG.  You can tell ALOT about a small business by the communication in my opinion.  

I want to give my money to companies that make me feel like a priority - even if I'm just another one of hundreds.  I'm sure its challenging to keep up with all of us annoying swimbaiters asking a million questions about every little detail - so when guys get it right i notice.

then again - there is always that one bad experience, even with the best companies.  no one is perfect.  But I can tell you if you reach out to Nameless you will hear back within a reasonable amount of time.

10 hours ago, mjaygrunt said:

I’m in the same boat. I ordered a 76ML,79MH and 8XH. I keep asking a eta on the rods on Instagram but no response 

4 hours ago, 18RangerZ520L said:

I went with Brad at F5 custom rods and couldn't be happier.  I had 5 rods built by Brad (plus one more in line for being built now) and they turned out great and all 5 were built on time and with communication along the way.  I looked into going with LDC and MOAM during my search for a builder.  MOAM dropped me like a hot rock for some reason after ironing out exactly what I was looking for in my rods, I emailed him several times to find out why he dropped me for no reason, but got zero response.  Ben responded to my inquiry on the 5 rods, but he only did spiral wrapping and wouldn't do the "traditional straight wrap".  I wanted the traditional straight guides so that's why I didn't go with LDC.

As mentioned above, it looks like customer orders have "fallen through the cracks" with other builders???  How hard is it to keep a simple excel spreadsheet of customer orders?!?!?  If I "fell through the cracks" with a builder, I'd ask for a refund and go elsewhere!

Reach out to Brad at F5, you won't be disappointed... 

Good luck. 

Seconding this, Brad at F5 has been great

I had the exact opposite experience with Brad at F5 on two different pre-orders. (Never a custom rod) 
MVT took 7 months instead of the 2-3 He quoted. I know a lot of guys cancelled orders after all the back n forth and had a less than pleasurable experience. 

Then I did the outbreak pre order which took 8 months and the rods showed up wrong, no foregrips. So after all that time I didn’t get what I wanted, claimed it was the websites fault and things didn’t get updated. he offered to redo em at the end of the season if I wanted to ship em back. 

i will say that the rods I have feom him are great rods at the end of the day. Just wasn’t happy with how it was handled and wait times constantly pushed back. 

ive had a few customs from LDC and they all took 6-9 months, the work is great and rods perform as they should. Never had an issue getting in touch with Ben (this was a few years ago) 

I tried out revelation (now nameless) and I was super happy with the CS and build time (3 weeks) rod was great. Build was exactly what I wanted. Since then I’ve added pretty much the whole line up of rods. He’s a newer builder so maybe he doesn’t have the wait list the other guys have, but i still feel that’s not an excuse for a lack of communication and extended build times. 

also note that most of you guys have rods spiral wrapped to the wrong side, which defeats the whole point. Do your homework and learn why and how it’s supposed to be done. Guides should twist the opposite side of your handle, right handle reel should have guides twisting to the left. 

I keep seeing ppl say different things on direction of spiral wraps. 

Is it opposite to handle or same direction. I know the reason for the spiral. But what's the specific reason behind it spiraling left or right? 

Edit: excuse my ignorance on the matter and sorry for thread jacking 

Edited by SumoNinja

36 minutes ago, chefchris said:

also note that most of you guys have rods spiral wrapped to the wrong side, which defeats the whole point. Do your homework and learn why and how it’s supposed to be done. Guides should twist the opposite side of your handle, right handle reel should have guides twisting to the left. 

Always heard opposite. What's your opinion? 

Technically it should twist opposite of the handle, but in reality it doesn't make much of a difference for how the rod wants to twist.

It does effect how the line stacks on non level wind reels though. Most people prefer a left twist with a right hand reel so you are pushing the line right more than pulling it left.