River Striper - Glide Bait

SacPig916

Was a great birthday present for myself!!  I was out with the prestigious Norcal Kat (good thing he was there).  We weren't feeling the first spot, so we drove to another.  No less than 10min later I stuck my new PB, which was around 8 to 9lbs.  Released her and got my line dig out and made my next cast.  Now.. This 8lber was the 2nd striper i've ever caught.  When the next one bit, needless to say I was unprepared.  Drag was getting ripped out instantly.  Nearly took my entire Tranx400 spool on her first and 2nd run.  I was nervous, very nervous.  If Orlando was not there, I would of tightened my drag in fear of getting spooled and for sure lost this fish.  Current + 46in striper = me hooked forever

Sorry for the blurred pictures, but it's on a river system and we need to keep poachers out of our spots.

SmallStriper.thumb.jpg.9d63f4cbd835218d5c509fbd95645cb4.jpg46inStriper.thumb.jpg.91b48908657d49350e2f4c8fad4c3709.jpg20200907_062643.thumb.jpg.90a02c9bbaba687132cb3d97b91482a1.jpg

43 minutes ago, Fishguru said:

Did the tail come of during the fight or are you running that bait tail less? 

I'll have to post a video of the swim, but it won't swim like I want it with a tail.  I made a resin version of the wood glider and replicated the action, but have been busy doing rats lately. 

Video : https://www.instagram.com/p/CHbSD2AA6ac/?igshid=14d3jxv8wdk9y

It's a much much different action then anything in the market.  It does everything you want with just a straight retrieve.  No popping or reeling fast.  

Edited by SacPig916

3 minutes ago, Doomlurker said:

Right on!

Ill be up that way next week with Salmonsacriver. What line were you using?

80lb suffix to 30lb big game, FG KNOT. 

I know people who know him, he's a good guy from what I've heard. 

Edited by SacPig916

43 minutes ago, Fishguru said:

Way to go, nothing better than a big girl on a plug! The look on your face in the second pic vs the first says it all. You are hooked now!

Haha yeah, it was quite the experience.  I don't have a kayak, so I'm waiting for the next run.  But I hope to get one soon so I can go delta fishing

1 hour ago, JustBassinAround916 said:

holy hell nice striper! i havent had any striper luck at my local spots since the beginning of December : (

Yeah, it gets real slow.  There are residents still, just much fewer fish in the system.  Got to go to the delta or more north

6 hours ago, StriperAddict said:

Badass man!

Hell of a striper! Congrats

ty!

3 hours ago, danthefisherman said:

That's a beast! Dream fish for sure!

Ty!

I forgot to say, 46in striper.  It was pushing 40 to 41lbs.  I'm 6'1 280lbs, this big girl was pretty dang hard to hold up.  Had to stab my elbow in my ribs lol