Line or Cast

BigBaits

So I lost my first swimbait today (8 inch hudd) and I was pretty mad. What happened was that I casted it off and I know for sure that it wasn't because of the way the line was tied. I think that the problem might be that I casted the bait overhand which gave the line more tension or simply I might need bigger line ( I use 20 pound Big Game). What do you guys think?

Tough to say what happened, none of us were there. I have never casted off a bait, broke a few off on hooksets though. How often did you re-tie your knot ? Were you dragging the hudd on the bottom a couple casts before ? Were you bank fishing and working the bait up-hill ? Probably had a fray in your line and SNAP. :(

Powerworm you have a good point, I should have checked my line after a few casts cause I was fishing in a CPL that had lots of structure. Also can it be that the form of cast may have made the line snap because of the weight of the hudd 8 inch. Maybe side casting creates less tension on the line, not sure though, correct me if I'm wrong.

It's definitely not the line, unless it was really old. Or frayed or nicked.

I fish the armageddon on 20. And I cast as hard as I can, no problems.

I have fished the weedless and reg 8" on 20 countless times, never a problem.

Hell, I even catch fish with it sometimes too :lol:

post-651-14252987887533_thumb.jpg

Yep, not the line. Entirely could have been a nick in the line, a burn, stretched area etc... Big game is cheap and overall a good line, its biggest pluses are you can replace it often in my book!

Keep an eye on your line to catch any frayed areas, burns or stretched spots and you should be good.

Casting off with fluoro is way more prevalent imo.

With a side arm cast you can really let the rod load up and do most of the casting for you. When you do an overhand cast you will propably tend to whip the bait more, and if you don't time it right... SNAP. I too have done this, usually when there is something in the way of my normal cast like a guy in the front of the boat or a tree or something. It typically is only a problem if you are going for maximum distance. The overhand whip causes the spool to run faster at first and then slow down enough to start backing up. Then the weight of the bait takes over and the lack of stretch with a relatively short amount of line out causes a failure. 25lb line doesn't seem to break like 20lb can when this happens. Just don't get in a hurry when you know you aren't making a proper cast.

i have never casted off a bait using big game, but i have with izor xxx in the past. i have found a nick in about first 100 yd off of a new spools. sometimes i find it while spooling up the reel, sometime i dont and i casted off like 4 baits from this, thankfully floating baits were retrieved..sinking baits not to lucky..

had the same thing happen to me towards the end of last year. casted off a ROF12 hudd on 20# big game. I think it was due to old line though. no nicks or cuts in the line whatsoever(probably less than 10 casts - no rocks or timber - just cabbage). Ive since purchased a new spool and have been out a couple of times with it since. no problems - yet. i'll be buying a new spool once spring time rolls around...

With 20 lb you take more chance of casting a bait off. IF you don't retie often you will. Even if you have no cover at all the casting alone puts a lot on the line. I used 20 at first. Sure I would cast off a bait once in a while but every time I did I knew it was my fault. I knew I needed to retie and I let it go a few more casts to many. So I went to 25 so when I go a few extra casts I know I'm ok :lol: