Safety Measures

danthefisherman

Just took a break from building to deep clean the garage out of all the built up debris, sawdust, and microspheres from making baits. Even if you're extra careful about sanitation and cleaning up after yourself, this stuff is no joke. Prolonged exposure can pose a significant health risk to yourself in the long run...or worse, to your loved ones. What safety measures are you guys taking to minimize health risks while making baits?

For me, NIOSH respirator and a new downdraft/vacuum table that I made to hook up to a shop-vac. The table works pretty well for collecting fine dust and preventing it from entering your lungs or clinging to your clothing. I always try to shake off/wipe down after building to dislodge any debris that might have collected on my person. Up next I want to build a ventilation system for pouring soft plastic.

20210215_103911-01.thumb.jpeg.d3e8a5b31c3a308c78c1aa205185f092.jpeg

20210215_103228-01.thumb.jpeg.c10978ee0b2d9b9000314a65a434aa6f.jpeg

Listen to the podcast?  I am about to take some of these same measures when I build up my new garage.  I was thinking a SAB though instead of a downdraft table.  I am picking up some goggles also.  Looks super clean, nice build

4 minutes ago, SacPig916 said:

Listen to the podcast?  I am about to take some of these same measures when I build up my new garage.  I was thinking a SAB though instead of a downdraft table.  I am picking up some goggles also.  Looks super clean, nice build

I don't know what podcast you're referring to, so no :D

Thanks

9 minutes ago, Thiskidlikes2fish said:

What respirator and goggles are those?

3M. I got the respirator with interchangeable organic filters for $30. You can get the single use organic filter model for like $15. I haven't had to buy new organic filters yet but I also don't pour a ton of plastics.

Yeah man. Love the table set up. Use to have my shop vac hose strapped to where I sand so it would suck it all up as I go. But so noisy that it limited my hours of work. Wife don’t like getting woke up at 6am and I would imagine neighbors don’t like it either. I’ve always wanted to build a box type set up for vac with hose coming out to something like this so it lowers the noise levels while cleaning up mess at the same time. Right now just sanding on to silicon sheet and using handheld vac to suck it up as I go. But you’ve got me thinking I need to tinker and get back to my original idea. My garage was so much cleaner when my shop vac was running. 

Really like that downdraft table you built there. Using the same style mask here without the attached goggles. Cant smell a thing through it. You could add a 20" box fan with a filter on the back for any airborne dust that doesn't go down in the table. You'd be surprised how much dust such a cheap simple rig can remove from the air. 

For sanding i have a 2hp dust collector to remove any dust or debris. But if you aren't careful, that thing will take the sand paper and even your carving knife right out of your hand. 

9 hours ago, Socalswimbait said:

Yeah man. Love the table set up. Use to have my shop vac hose strapped to where I sand so it would suck it all up as I go. But so noisy that it limited my hours of work. Wife don’t like getting woke up at 6am and I would imagine neighbors don’t like it either. I’ve always wanted to build a box type set up for vac with hose coming out to something like this so it lowers the noise levels while cleaning up mess at the same time. Right now just sanding on to silicon sheet and using handheld vac to suck it up as I go. But you’ve got me thinking I need to tinker and get back to my original idea. My garage was so much cleaner when my shop vac was running. 

Thanks! It's not any quieter than running the shop-vac by itself, unless you plan to run the hose into a closet or something haha.

4 hours ago, TootsMalone said:

Really like that downdraft table you built there. Using the same style mask here without the attached goggles. Cant smell a thing through it. You could add a 20" box fan with a filter on the back for any airborne dust that doesn't go down in the table. You'd be surprised how much dust such a cheap simple rig can remove from the air. 

For sanding i have a 2hp dust collector to remove any dust or debris. But if you aren't careful, that thing will take the sand paper and even your carving knife right out of your hand. 

Now there's an idea! My shop-vac is only 1.5hp so it struggles a bit to reach dust higher above the table. A fan on the back would help improve dust collection for sure!

11 hours ago, azsouth said:

20" fan is a good idea, if it is a sealed unit.... you need to remember that saw dust is highly flammable.

A dust flash over is not fun.

Thank you for pointing this out. I was more mentioning the box fan for a ceiling mounted application to catch all the fine dust you cant see in the air. The stuff that inevitably coats everything in a garage after a sanding project. I wouldn't use it for anything more than that and in that application, it is perfectly safe. Hundreds if not thousands of wood workers have box fans humming away above their heads while they work sucking dust into 20x20 furnace filters. 

@danthefisherman if you wanna improve the suction on that table, Increase the cfm of air moving through it. Shop vacs use high pressure air with low cfm, dust collectors do the opposite. My 6hp shop vac moves something around 200cfm. But my 2hp dust collector moves close to 1700cfm. 

@danthefisherman @azsouthWow, Just re-read what i posted yesterday and wanted to apologize for how unclear my suggest came out.  I did not mean to suggest mounting the box fan to the back of your downdraft table with a filter. That honestly wouldn't do much for catch any more dust that your shopvac. As well as the fire risk @azsouth pointed out. But i would mount one on the ceiling above the table, drawing air through a filter that faces your table (blowing away from the table). This WILL greatly reduce the amount of airborne dust that I'm sure you find on just about every surface in your shop after sanding. 

Sorry for rambling, Just don't want give bad advice that is potentially dangerous.  

Carry on:P. Would love to see some shots of the rest of your shop.