Is 17lb fluoro too light for beast and jig hooked baits?

Jean-Luc

I use my Dobyns 795 temporarily with my slx dc spooled with 17lb fluoro (will upgrade to curado 201k later). This setup has been great for my treble hooked baits like the S-waver 168 and my 6 inch magdraft. I have some concern with my weedless hudd 68 and magdraft freestyles rigged with a 6/0 owner beast hook when using 17lb line. Is 17lb too light for jig and beast hooked baits. Also I know my rod or more meant for treble hooked baits but I cannot upgrade rods at this time. 

I’m not going to answer your question (sorry) but I have something that I do that might help you. Depending on what reel you have and your level of comfort with tinkering with it, you could buy an extra spool with and fill it with braid or a heavier flouro for those single hook applications. I have a Cardiff with 20# flouro on it but if I want to throw a big topwater, I’ll throw on my backup spool with 65# braid. 

If your rod is a little softer than desired for single hook baits the braid will make up for that a little bit with its obvious no stretch quality. 

Again.. not ideal but if can’t afford a new setup right now, a $30 spool and $20 line might give you a few more options. 

I've been using the Fury 795 for two seasons now and I've never thrown anything over 15lb Big Game mono, it's worked for me with 7" softbaits and 10/0 Beast hooks. I know that's not recommended, and I'm not recommending it, just answering your question that yes, it'll do. You're correct in that this rod is better suited for trebled baits, when you set the hook on a beast/jig hook you can definitely tell a stiffer backbone would give you more confidence you're getting that hook home.

Caveat: if you've never used Big Game, that stuff can pull a Mac Truck. It stretches, but its breaking point is ridiculous; it's a hassle having to break off of hangups. It's the only mono I can speak for as it's the only one I've used. Good luck.

Edited by 168 Rookie

I have a similar setup and have tried 15-20lb mono/fluoro and 65lb braid. Overall I was much happier with the braid because I got rock solid hook sets when fishing citizens in cover. Fishing mono/fluoro on a soft rod I had to compensate with technique. The fluoro also had a tendency to shatter on hard hook sets. You could always run a leader if you want some stretch.

Edited by Fried Lemons