Fast vs moderate fast action rods

Bsampson

19 minutes ago, jbernaeyge said:

Here is an interesting question. can you use for one for it all?  im very simple and only like to carry one rod. thoughts?

Yes, mod/fast rods do a pretty decent job for an all around rod.

• 1 month later...

Here is another follow up to the other questions posed on here. Once you get into that 1-2oz range does it matter as much the speed for the treble baits? Only because there’s not as much weight for the bass to flip around to come unhooked? 

17 hours ago, Bsampson said:

Here is another follow up to the other questions posed on here. Once you get into that 1-2oz range does it matter as much the speed for the treble baits? Only because there’s not as much weight for the bass to flip around to come unhooked? 

In my opinion, you want the rod to be as moderate as possible and still be able to  set the hook that you are using.

On 2/28/2021 at 7:06 PM, UnknownBasstard said:

I think it all depends on your fishing style and line choice as well. I know I’m probably in the minority but I fish a 795 strictly with smaller jig hook and weedless  baits and don’t use it for treble hook baits at all. I fish braid with a short floro leader and it’s perfect for those baits IMO. I think the 806 is a great compliment to it for the treble stuff. 

I have one Dobyns 795 with a braid to leader set-up that I use for jig hook and beast hook baits in 2- 3.5 oz range. I have this paired up with a Calcutta 201 D which has a narrow deep spool  which I like when using braid as it basically has eliminated wind knots . It also has larger line guide which I feel is an advantage if using a long leader. I've been happy with the set-up so far. 

On 6/12/2021 at 6:04 AM, rwp said:

In my opinion, you want the rod to be as moderate as possible and still be able to  set the hook that you are using.

4 hours ago, Primus said:

I have one Dobyns 795 with a braid to leader set-up that I use for jig hook and beast hook baits in 2- 3.5 oz range. I have this paired up with a Calcutta 201 D which has a narrow deep spool  which I like when using braid as it basically has eliminated wind knots . It also has larger line guide which I feel is an advantage if using a long leader. I've been happy with the set-up so far. 

Thanks for the information. I have two 795s, and I am likely going to get rid of one that has to short of a handle for me and I want to get a rod more focused of the soft baits.

But, I struggle with what to throw the 1-2oz baits on. I have both hard and soft baits in the range I like a lot. they don’t quite fit my jig rods and they are a bit light for the 795 in my opinion.

on some of my  smaller  soft swimbaits I 've been using a Daiwa Tatula Elite 7'6" Ish Monroe Flipping stick for smaller baits like the Little Creeper Bluegill.  I've been very pleased with both the casting distance and landing percentage. I have a 200 size reel mounted on it and use 20 lb Floro.  On the hard bait side I use a Dobyns Boom Boom 8' medium swimbait rod, I think it is fantastic rod for fishing snack size hardbaits like  a River to Sea S Waver 168.