Bluegill/bream swimbaits

fishaholic211

Alright I have an opportunity to get a bluegill swimbait. The only thing is that I am nervous about pulling the trigger because I am not sure how effective it will be. I fish the shads, herrings, and the trouts effectively but I don't know if the bream will be as productive in the same areas that my other baits are. I have always seen gills up in the shallows and in the backs of creeks but nothing on the main body of water. Does any of my fellow swimbait brethren have any advice for me to push me over the edge?

Thanks SU, I appreciate ya!!

When you see big bass floating with a giant gill sideways in its mouth you will want them ;)

I'm still waiting for someone to make that big bluegill bait......that doesn't cost 300.00 rapecharge. (i don't like whats on the market)

When you see big bass floating with a giant gill sideways in its mouth you will want them ;)

I'm still waiting for someone to make that big bluegill bait......that doesn't cost 300.00 rapecharge. (i don't like whats on the market)

I have a fish 30 acre bluegill that is to big for where im fishing but it is really nice, im looking to get rid of it for a smaller one!

I mainly fish bluegill swimbaits and they produce well, where are you fishing?

I fish a few different kinds of gill baits, specifically a couple different color morgan customs, and the 22nd century gill. As far as numbers, i've caught quite a few fish, but as far as quality, it just hasn't been there. When you say produce well, are you catching fish with size on a gill bait? Im not saying you cant, because I totally think you can. I just like to fish the baits that lean toward the big ones. I guess im in the class of fish all day for 1 bite, but the bite is going to be big. The gill bait doesnt really fit that category. It has been fun to fish in ponds that have bluegill though. Im going to keep throwing it in the ponds here and see what I can come up with.

I have a few lakes where I have done quite well on gill baits, but the lake I fish the most it has not been a "go to" bait for me. I don't think the fish key on them very often in this lake, but I've personally seen a few times where they did. Also, the biggest tourny bag on this lake in the 4 yrs I've been here (31+ lbs w/ a 9lb kicker) was caught when a school of big bass showed up in a small cove to eat bluegills. Anglers said it was unexpected and they've never seen it before or since. So, even on lakes where they aren't the #1 prey, they are still a bait worth imitating.

the gills I make for myself are alot fatter than whats on the market and I get solid bites on them. 5-8# fish often and Ive missed some BIG ones. But these gills im throwing are 1"-1 1/8th wide and 3.5-5 ozs.

I have had good success on average to decent CO bass on various bluegill baits. Keep in mind that a 19 - 22" bass is a good 'un at 5200', so this might not apply as much to other areas. The "little" G2 shellcracker gets a lot of bites from the full size range, and the bigger fish seem to enjoy choking it, both by day and night. The bigger OG Shellcracker (if you can find one) in either crappie or 'gill colors also gets hit - not as much but typically by bigger fish, and mostly by day. I've also had some success on the Matt Lures Hard Gill, especially by day along weed edges.

I mainly fish bluegill swimbaits and they produce well, where are you fishing?

I fish a few different kinds of gill baits, specifically a couple different color morgan customs, and the 22nd century gill. As far as numbers, i've caught quite a few fish, but as far as quality, it just hasn't been there. When you say produce well, are you catching fish with size on a gill bait? Im not saying you cant, because I totally think you can. I just like to fish the baits that lean toward the big ones. I guess im in the class of fish all day for 1 bite, but the bite is going to be big. The gill bait doesnt really fit that category. It has been fun to fish in ponds that have bluegill though. Im going to keep throwing it in the ponds here and see what I can come up with.

On the baby hardgill ive caught up to 30 fish a day, including the one in my picture to the left, so not monstrous size but alot of five pounders.

I fish the jsj gill, ive had some monster blow ups, only got one 3 in on it, koppers bluegill wake bait, and shellcracker g2, i have, and they get bit everywhere. Some fish small, some fish huge. Mattlures baby hardgill catches 2+ bass alll day long. Tylures does the same just for me hasnt produced as well, ive never chucked my killa gill though.