Spinning rigs for swimbaits?

Bsampson

I am going to spend a few days fishing with a guy who is learning the bass world. He really wants to throw some big baits, but has little experience with bait casters. Has anyone thrown big baits with spinning gear? If so, what gear have you used?

4 minutes ago, Bsampson said:

I am going to spend a few days fishing with a guy who is learning the bass world. He really wants to throw some big baits, but has little experience with bait casters. Has anyone thrown big baits with spinning gear? If so, what gear have you used?

I've never thrown swimbaits on spinning gear, but you would definitely need a big reel and a heavier action rod. Its difficult to get heavy line on a spinning reel so try braid maybe? Dont throw anything too big (Swaver 168 is the biggest i would go)

27 minutes ago, will.s_fishing_ said:

I've never thrown swimbaits on spinning gear, but you would definitely need a big reel and a heavier action rod. Its difficult to get heavy line on a spinning reel so try braid maybe? Dont throw anything too big (Swaver 168 is the biggest i would go)

Yea it would definitely be a braid to floro I think. It sounds like he has some 2.5 oz baits he wants to try, but that feels like it’s getting a bit heavy unless I hand him my big surf fishing gear.

If he’s just going to “ dabble “ for a day throwing 2 - 3 oz baits use a medium sized 8 or 9’ surf rod that’s  rated appropriately and a 3000 size spinning reel.  

Braid to mono. 

Put him on fish and suck him into the big bait world.  Lol

I use a 7' Heavy Gold Cup Inshore (3/4 - 3oz) with a 3000 reel when the need for a spinning setup arises.  Casts very well and lobs heavier 4oz+ baits w/o issue... Braid to flouro

That rod is cheap too ~$50  Will handle those 2.5oz baits no problem.  Good luck!

7 hours ago, Bsampson said:

Not personally but I’ve heard a story of my friends dad that was stubborn and threw a waver 168 on his drop shot rod and caught a 7 pounder. LOL

11 hours ago, Jinxd12 said:

I recommend teaching how to use the bait caster, I tough my kids in like 30 min. Just keep the spool tension tight as hell! Floating baits for the 1st hour!

Why floating baits, so they can see the strikes? 

Teach him the bait caster. As others have said give him something in the 2 oz range that floats. My gf is the WORST caster even with a spin rod but with how heavy swimbaits are it lessens the chance of backlash during the cast and she has no problem casting bbz floaters and slammers