What would u throw when its raining?

jonathando23

If you have a good rain going i would start with big wakebait over productive spots, that's what has worked for me in the rain. You wont get alot of bites but the bites should be good. And if that does'nt work then go down from there.

But there is something about the rain and wakes, at least for me

i have had the same luck in the rain on the same baits i use when its sunny out. dont over think a situation.

Yep, Gota just go out and do it. But I would be fishing the same baits too.

I'm not so sure about bad weather when they are wanting to move up to spawn though. I have mixed feelings about that. I have had great days and bad both in rain. I have had some great days in plenty of sun too.

It's just a matter of if they will eat, sun or rain, to me anyway.

If you have a good rain going i would start with big wakebait over productive spots, that's what has worked for me in the rain. You wont get alot of bites but the bites should be good. And if that does'nt work then go down from there.

But there is something about the rain and wakes, at least for me

-

+1 Robbie, you and me both. Creep that wakebait as slow as it'll go, but still pushing a good wake. That's my go to bait when it's raining/overcast..........even more so if there's a slight chop on the water or just a light breeze! :P

How did it go?

Not good the water rised 3-4 feet and it was murky. Went to a spot is 5 to 3 feet that has hydrilla clump and the wind was horable like 20mph and the rain felt like needles,

And the water temp went from 59 degrees to almost in the 40's in 3 day cuz of the storm. O well I learned a new trick with my punker so it was a good day to me.

How did it go?

Not good the water rised 3-4 feet and it was murky. Went to a spot is 5 to 3 feet that has hydrilla clump and the wind was horable like 20mph and the rain felt like needles,

And the water temp went from 59 degrees to almost in the 40's in 3 day cuz of the storm. O well I learned a new trick with my punker so it was a good day to me.

Another day on the water is gold and learning something new is priceless dude!

I don't think the rain itself is the key thing to think about. The fact that you have a low light situation combined with low pressure and often times some wind can SOMETIMES get the fish moving around more aggressively and I setup my approach with the assumption that they are LOOKING UP. I completely agree that a big wake bait that PUSHES a lot of water on a slowww steady retrieve gets bit. Not unlike a night fishing approach. I definitely prefer a billed wake in this situation like any of the 3:16 wakes or ARM would be a good bet and the MS Slammer or AC Minnows are good old school proven baits that will put fish in the boat as well.

Of course, there are other factors like water temp and time of year to consider but sometimes you just have to go fishing to determine if the fish will come up and hit a wake bait on top. Good idea to have a backup plan with some sinking baits if they aren't willing to come up to eat.

Being a striper guy I always get an extra sense of confidence in low light but its hit and miss truth be told.

JK