First time musky advise

ZachThomas

Hey guys and lady’s I want to go musky fishing for my first time on Caesar creek lake, planning on taking my swimbaits. What type of leader do I need? And what are some good ways to target them? I’m thinking a rat bait or S-waver 200 might get the job done. Thank you! 

I use 100lb fluoro when I'm fishing for esox. As far is it goes with baits, anything big works, my buddy's first ski came of a BBZ rat. I don't know your state's regulations but here in NY they are closed March 15-May 1 to protect them during the spawn so be careful. Also make sure you are prepared to actually catch a ski, big net, pliers, jaw spreaders, hook cutters and gloves if you don't want to shred your knuckles 

Caught my first musky at CC in January, while bass fishing with a little 1/2oz blade bait. I’ve always heard smaller baits work well for musky their, but I have little experience. I plan on getting out this year for some dedicated musky trips though, it’s just not my favorite lake to fish from a kayak with all the pleasure boaters lol. Goodluck man!

On 4/6/2021 at 9:14 PM, CG_Fishes said:

Also make sure you are prepared to actually catch a ski, big net, pliers, jaw spreaders, hook cutters and gloves if you don't want to shred your knuckles 

This is the most important advice here. They’re rowdy critters.

I usually only fish for them in winter and big glides (2 and 1 piece) worked painfully slow has been the deal.

The real musky guys I lean on to learn all pretty well size down early season around now.

2 hours ago, willlliw said:

Kind of unrelated but does anyone know if Tiger Musky are closed in this time period too in NY? Since they are sterile they don't spawn but I don't know if there's special regulations.

Yes, all esox species are closed in NY currently. When they open depends on the body of water, my rivers open the 1st of May, I believe statewide is the 15th

1 hour ago, CG_Fishes said:

Yes, all esox species are closed in NY currently. When they open depends on the body of water, my rivers open the 1st of May, I believe statewide is the 15th

Are they closed in Ohio? I can’t find any info. 

33 minutes ago, ZachThomas said:

Are they closed in Ohio? I can’t find any info. 

from what I can tell there isn't a closed season. Since they're all stocked fish ig they aren't worried about reproduction. It's up to you if you wanna target spawning fish, just like it is with bass, but I'd wait until they're done