200 vs 300 size reel on a Fury 795?

pschueller

I am thinking of picking up a Dobyns Fury 795, mostly for smaller soft baits. I will probably mostly use it for Hudd 68s, 6 - 7" weedless or line through baits, maybe the occasional small hard bait. I doubt I will use it for anything over 2 oz. I can't decide if I should put a 200 or 300 size reel on it. I will use braid to a leader and would be comfortable going down to 40 lbs on a 200 size if neccessary for line capacity. Which size would you prefer for this?

The 300 would be more versatile allowing you to toss larger baits if you ever change your mind.

Personally I would go with a 200 size reel and 65lbs Maxcuatro. Example a tranx 200 can hold roughly 120yds of 65lbs Maxcuatro. I’m running a Irod Kaimana Coastal 794 with a Bantam MGL spooled with 65lbs Maxcuatro with plenty of line capacity tossing 2oz plus baits in the bay. 

200 size reel for sure, if you're going to go round. I run a luna 253 on my  795 XP and it works great. Doubt there's much of a weight difference between the Fury and Champ. I've had multiple 200 and 300 size reels on the 795, and 200's seem to have the best fit. The Curado 300E wasn't too bad, a little on the heavy side.

I only use 300 and up size reels on my Swimbait rods. I throw Hudd 68 specials on a Lexa 300. You’re going to have room to grow with a 300 size reel because it can handle much heavier baits, hold more line and give you that heavier drag. Even if you don’t find yourself throwing baits that will need a stronger rod, a Hudd 68 ROF5 is right at 2oz. So I’d just grab a 300 size personally. 

I have other rods for heavier baits, so I won't often use this rod for baits over 2 oz. But, that doesn't mean the power of a 300 won't be useful. I will probably go 300. Having a lighter weight reel is what tempts we to get a 200.

1 hour ago, pschueller said:

I have other rods for heavier baits, so I won't often use this rod for baits over 2 oz. But, that doesn't mean the power of a 300 won't be useful. I will probably go 300. Having a lighter weight reel is what tempts we to get a 200.

Check the Bantam MGL out. You can find them overseas for under the $275. Stuff a larger handle on it and you will be Golden. I would stay away from DC reels. There really isn’t a need for them for big baits specially once you learn to use your thumb. They really only have a cool factor over non DC reels. 

I wouldn't recommend a fury 795 for soft baits. It's too soft in my experience. Treble hook baits you'd get by but for jig hook and weighted beast hooks u need more backbone 

I had bites on my fury 795 that I couldn't tell if I bumped a rock or if it was a bite. It got to where i had lost confidence in the rod and upgraded to a 795 xp and never looked back. 

If you're gonna get the fury 795 regardless I'd say use braid to leader or straight flouro to get more sensitivity and less stretch. If u use copoly or mono.....swing and sweep hard on your hooksets.  As far as reel, I'd say a 200 size pairs with it really well but a 300 would be fine too. But if I'm gonna throw 6 to 7" soft baits, I'd personally just get the fury 806, not the 795

Just my 2 cents 

Edited by SumoNinja

I personally wouldn't use the 795 for soft baits either. MAAAYBE with braid it'd be fine but I'd still only be fishing jig hooks. Weedless baits IMO you want a stiffer rod. That said I've got a 200 tatula on mine. I use 20lb line, no need for a 300 size reel at that line size IMO. If you are able to try some reels on it in person, see what balances better but I think most 300 size reels will feel a bit heavy on that rod. 

On 4/14/2021 at 7:24 PM, pschueller said:

I will be using braid to leader. Is the Fury 806 stiffer than the XP? I have a XP 806 and it is quite moderate. 

The Fury 806 isn't what I would consider weedless stiff, it's still a treble rod I think.