K9 cast to catch - the hard way

swimbaitrookie

I experienced my first out-of-yak adventure yesterday and couldn't have picked a better spot to do it.  I'm relatively new to Yak'n and made a couple of errors that led to my "launch" and which shall not be repeated.  

But hey, I got the fish!

The way I see it, you did only one thing wrong and did a lot of things right.

• First and foremost, you were wearing a PFD - if you'd clocked your head on the way into the drink, you'd still be floating.  We recently had a kayaker go overboard in 50°F water on a lake I sometimes fish and they found his kayak (overturned), his dog (wearing a PFD) but after 4 or so days of searching above and below the water, never found him.
  • Second, I noticed that you have floats on all the rods you're not using; awesome idea!  If you'd flipped the kayak you'd have had a right royal mess on your hands but your rods and reels and baits would still be floating.  Nicely done!
  • You kept your head, moved to safety, and then landed the fish, and, realized what the mistake was you'd made.

Have you considered sending the video to the company that makes the transducer arm?  You never know, they might send you a free replacement.

Great catch, great video, and I'm glad that the only injury (other than some pride) was the contusion you got.  Looking forwards to seeing more fish out of the yak (with you still in it).