Busy Day Miracle Pike

willlliw

For a bit of context, this morning I took my SAT, which meant I missed practice and my long run day. After getting home from my SAT I had to do a 90 minute run because that's what I would've done if it weren't for the SAT. As i'm leaving I decide to put my swimbait rod in my car in case I see active fish while running (the park is the same one I usually fish). Fast foreword to me running around the 1.7 mile lake and I keep passing this massive pike chilling under a tree near the shore. This is the only pike in this lake, I do t really know how it got in here since the lake is pretty closed off from any kind of waterway around me. Immediately after I'm done I grab my rod and put some shorts over my running shorts so I don't look like a goon while i'm fishing. From behind a tree I cast say out from the pike hoping to stay hidden, since when I last interacted with it the fish was very skiddish. It instantly bolts off to my hudd 68 special and the bait is gone. This is all in probably 30+ foot visibility water. Got this fish in and the hudd was destroyed but I don't really care. At this point I was exhausted and shaking from fish as well as soaked from a bit of a hairy landing. It measured 33'' and was the fattest pike i've seen with my own eyes. Super stoked as I've been seeing this pike for a very long time now and finally caught it on a day where I didn't even intend fishing.

C17ADAC7-E550-4BF9-9464-7FF35967D1B2.png

1CBAF7B9-F472-410F-898D-EFBF23A3B81E.png

26 minutes ago, CG_Fishes said:

So sick Will. Glad you caught her man, such a sick story. What a memorable catch!

Will definitely remeber this one every time I see that fish. Can't wait to see how big it gets in years to come.

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Jon P said:

That thing's built like a 2X4! 

I saw a torn up trout swimming around right before I caught her! By the amount of them I've seen swimming around she must've been full of them!

13 hours ago, willlliw said:

I saw a torn up trout swimming around right before I caught her! By the amount of them I've seen swimming around she must've been full of them!

There's a stock pond I grew up fishing that the state traps pike out of to keep them from competing with the hatchery trout. The winter before last my younger brother got an insanely fat 19 lb pike while ice fishing for trout. Just like hatchery trout grow fat bass, they grow fat pike. Small waterbodies with a constant supply of trout and only a handful of pike grow some massive fish. Only thing limiting their growth is how long they can avoid being caught and killed.