Best Line For Big Swimbaits: NEED ADVICE

GlideGuys

@Good Year 71Awesome, I got 25 lb with the thought of using it for leaders with my deps 250. I'll be using probably 20 or 30 ft leaders, and like you said will make sure to retie often. I appreciate the confirmation that I made a good choice (tatsu isn't cheap as you're well aware).

31 minutes ago, Morgan Y said:

@DrewManFishingSaw that vid yesterday, hopefully the problems he had with Tatsu don't happen to me. I've heard almost all good, with Mike's review being the only semi negative one on Tatsu. 

i’m sure it’s amazing. he is super picky about everything and one bad experience turns him away from any other line for example he said he doesn’t like any mono brand on the market at all.

On 6/25/2021 at 9:20 AM, Morgan Y said:

I decided to bite the bullet and buy 25 lb seaguar tatsu for my leader line to throw baits up to a 250. I haven't used it yet because I'm waiting on some gear, but the stuff seems rock solid although very supple. Also something cool about the 25 lb line is that it's the equivalent diameter of 20 lb which should make the action of the bait better. I'd like to hear what you guys' thoughts are on tatsu as mainline, leader, or both?

Dude Tatsu beyond rock solid!! Absolutely best floro! I use it straight but I put backing on my reels 80lb braid close to half my spool! I have it on 5 or 6 rods from 15lb to 25lb. I’m not a fan of the whole leader thing but if you are 10 to 12 feet I’d say is plenty! Line is super super strong, very limp a unbelievably clear in water and the diameter amazing!! At one time I was throwing big crank baits and big stick baits with the my line frayed just test it out man I was still horsing in 2lb 3lb fish never broke! Of course I’m not doing that with big baits lol! I’ve never had it break on a knot or snap a lure off. Another really good Floro I’ve used so far but not a lot  is Daiwa J-Fluoro Samurai really really liking it! 

5 hours ago, Loudsplashbassn_ said:

Just finished spooling up its nice lol fills like 6lb test compared to the CXX 20

According to the charts on TW, the Izorline XXX and Pline CXX are the same diameter for 20lb.

Screenshot_20210704-164345_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20210704-164444_Chrome.jpg

@nrxI was throwing it yesterday with a 250, and it is without question the toughest, but also most supple fluoro I have ever used. It's beyond incredible. I think I'm going to pick up a spool for my spinning stuff now. I'm really excited to wack a tank on the big baits and see how it loads up.

If you choose the braid to leader route you need to step up to at least 65lb for up to 4oz anything over that you'll need 80lb to even 100lb braid. Since I'm in tootht critter water I tie a 80lb flurocarbon leader and crimp it down with a metal line sleeve. I use a high quality barrel swivel to a split ring and change my lures with split ring pliers if needed. The other end I tie a Alberto Knot (cinch it down as hard as you can with gloves or IT WILL SLIP) to my mainline. With this, I am able to preserve the action of my bait while having protection against Pike, Musky, you name it. A lot of guys like Copolymer or flurocarbon but the advantage of knowing every single thing yourbl bait does is a huge advantage IMO. Use a softer tip rod and play the fish a little softer than you normally would. Experiment and adjust. 

Edited by bengyaj
Added additional info

@bengyajI tie an FG knot to my tatsu leader (25) and cinch the crap out of it, I use 80 lb maxcuatro and a dobyns 867 (I used to use an 807, but upgraded). I still set the hook like a train and crank the fish to the boat though. I like to set the hook hard and crank relentlessly until the fish is in my hands. (A bird in the hand is better than 2 in the bush applies to bass fishing IMO)

5 minutes ago, Morgan Y said:

@bengyajI tie an FG knot to my tatsu leader (25) and cinch the crap out of it, I use 80 lb maxcuatro and a dobyns 867 (I used to use an 807, but upgraded). I still set the hook like a train and crank the fish to the boat though. I like to set the hook hard and crank relentlessly until the fish is in my hands. (A bird in the hand is better than 2 in the bush applies to bass fishing IMO)

Nice. I'll give that a whirl, I've muscled pikes in but not bass just because of what everyone says pulling hooks outta them. FG is topknotch... if only i could tie that knot with some sort consistency haha