Triple Trout rats?

ttesoroni

Scott Whitmer of 21st century baits makes both the triple trout and a rat called the nezzuma rat. I've fished their xl rat for a couple years now, and recently got a medium for smaller fish at the ponds. 

They're very good. Compared to other wakebaits, the nezzuma's have more of a subtle very natural swim. The bait comes in two different versions, waking and cranking. The waking version has a skinnier coffin style lip. It doesn't crank, but it walks very well (you can literally sit in in place and just walk it over a piece of cover without actually moving the bait forward). The standard lip (sometimes called the cranking lip) both cranks and swims on the surface. It can basically do everything. I've always liked the standard lip better but there are definitely some guys that prefer the waking lip. 

If you want a very agressive clacking wakebait then you shouldn't go with the nezzumas. In really windy, choppy water I feel that they can get lost compared to some other wakebaits, granted I've still caught fish on them in those conditions. To me, they seem to excel in lighter wind, and do incredibly well as a night bait. The xl has produced some absolute toads for me in the dark. 

I'm no expert, but I've always found that very parabolic rods work the best for wakebaits. The bass don't always crush it, sometimes the just suck it in. When you have a rod with some bend to it it gives in a way that allows the bass to suck the bait in. Sort of like crankbait fishing. 

Granted, I've always fished wakebaits on braid and lighter hooks, so maybe that's just what works for me. Would love to have somebody who truley knows what they're talking about chime in:-D

I agree with pretty much everything fishratt said. To add on, I think the nezumma rats are one of the most natural rat baits on the market. When waking the head barely has any lateal movement while the rear section has a nice kick. If you've seen rodents swim, they keep their heads in a straight line and kick with their feet/tail. 

The medium rat has been a very good numbers bait for me, I don't think I've been skunked on it yet. The XL rat has gotten me some huge bites in the hottest part of the day late summer.

two of my fishing buddies have their pbs on the large nez rat, the regular coffin lip version. 

@fishratt

pretty much nailed it overall. 

i fished the medium and nver got bites, the large did damage when i fished it and not much love on the xl, but then again the large seems to be the winner around here. 

you dont see or hear a lot of the new guys talking about em, cause everyone wants an illude but the nez is a proven big fish catcher all around the country. 

Scott is also great to deal with, my buddy casted his mojo bait into a tree about 20 feet above the water (still not sure how) and i messaged scott asking him for one as an xmas gift replace that one and to paint one in the old school brown/tan colorway from 2014, he did it on the next run, maybe like 2-4 weeks to get the bait, shipped it with extra tails and a nice note to my buddy wishing him mojo and a new pb. 

4 hours ago, fishratt said:

Scott Whitmer of 21st century baits makes both the triple trout and a rat called the nezzuma rat. I've fished their xl rat for a couple years now, and recently got a medium for smaller fish at the ponds. 

They're very good. Compared to other wakebaits, the nezzuma's have more of a subtle very natural swim. The bait comes in two different versions, waking and cranking. The waking version has a skinnier coffin style lip. It doesn't crank, but it walks very well (you can literally sit in in place and just walk it over a piece of cover without actually moving the bait forward). The standard lip (sometimes called the cranking lip) both cranks and swims on the surface. It can basically do everything. I've always liked the standard lip better but there are definitely some guys that prefer the waking lip. 

If you want a very agressive clacking wakebait then you shouldn't go with the nezzumas. In really windy, choppy water I feel that they can get lost compared to some other wakebaits, granted I've still caught fish on them in those conditions. To me, they seem to excel in lighter wind, and do incredibly well as a night bait. The xl has produced some absolute toads for me in the dark. 

Great synopsis of the bait. Was the first big bait I ever gained confidence in and it definitely has a very subtle action so if your looking for loud and turbulent then this is not the rat. I even make a point to tie direct to this bait whereas most billed baits I fish on a split to maximize action. This thing just pushes water with the uniquely wide bill  and gives more of a random click or knock than a steady rhythmic noise. Walks really good and deadsticking with twitches has produced multiple good fish. I do notice that I get a lot more squeak from the joint on the nez than other rats I have fished (pb, stray, bucca, trap, dockrat) and I put a lot of faith in that sound. Have caught fish in every size of the bait from medium to the xl 3 piece (my favorite) but the large and medium sizes were definitely the numbers baits I could almost always get a bite. Lost my go to large which is still my most producing swimbait to this day. SLOW is the name of the game with this bait

B1110A5C-5BA7-428B-9729-168F045A98C7.jpeg

A80FC06F-B023-40FE-967C-673309BE9625.jpeg

Edited by brootalititties

The medium nez is a great rat. Looked over and under appreciated due to its availability. Not a lot of roll, thump, noise and pull to it so that makes it different from a lot of other rats. Definitely more subtle 

I throw it on mh and h setups, 15 and 20 lb test, higher gear ratio reels for me because I like to make that bait go fast and abrupt stops when not crawling