Klash 9 weed guard

Mtrose23

Ive been fishing the klash 9 with the weed guard for a while now and I wanted to know other people's opinion and thoughts or if they've actually hooked fish with the guard on 

I noticed that I can fish the klash much more slower with the guard and its relatively easier to get it lower in the water. Idk if its just me but I feel like I have more control over the glide. 
Presentation wise, I've only had the chance to fish the K9 in one particular lake which has notoriously clear and deep water (deepest would be 150ft+)  but I had no problems having giant followers on it so I feel like the wire guard isn't too noticeable or off putting to predatory bass. 

just my two cents! 

I'd like to get a pack of the guards to try!  I like to fish the bait like a large square bill and crash through the cover but I have to keep it moving pretty fast so it won't level out and get the hooks caught.  I'd like to be able to slow it down sometimes. 

5 hours ago, swimbaitrookie said:

I'd like to get a pack of the guards to try!  I like to fish the bait like a large square bill and crash through the cover but I have to keep it moving pretty fast so it won't level out and get the hooks caught.  I'd like to be able to slow it down sometimes. 

The weed guards are pretty hard to get so I’m playing around with making my own.  I copied the idea from the Banderuola B-1 concept using one of their wire guards. 

First pic is of the Banderuola set up. 

2nd and 3rd pic is of the wire guard itself from Banderuola.

4th pic of is the hole I made in the TK lip with a hot needle.  I Think I need to put the hole higher up in the lip - most likely towards the center of the lip. I probably need to shorten the wire as well - I’ll play with it a bit and see how it works out. 

Im going to stop by a Hobby shop that sells RC plane stuff to source different wires to play with. 

Last pic is of my first attempt. 

D2BBE6AD-9030-4F51-961B-DCF4C58ED824.jpeg

3F500212-15AA-4434-89A1-EDBE6E888A84.jpeg

8C285345-D0D4-458D-8113-F957CD2A637D.jpeg

528E53B1-666E-4BBA-AEBA-E33EE8AC23DD.jpeg

5DB2B9B7-A34A-4EE0-A5E1-EF17BB52EC1B.jpeg

we're thinking along the same lines!  My wife is a jewelry maker and has all kinds of wire for me to work with.  I've found one that seems to have the right stiffness and spring, and that isn't too hard to work with.  I'm trying to make a bending jig to make the wire similar to the drt ones.  I'm a few iterations from having that right!

22 minutes ago, swimbaitrookie said:

we're thinking along the same lines!  My wife is a jewelry maker and has all kinds of wire for me to work with.  I've found one that seems to have the right stiffness and spring, and that isn't too hard to work with.  I'm trying to make a bending jig to make the wire similar to the drt ones.  I'm a few iterations from having that right!

The DRT one looks to complex for my simple mind. The Banderuola one appeals to me because of its simplicity - put a hike in the lip and slip the wite through.

Ah - wire from a jeweler is a great idea - I have a sibling that’s a jeweler. 

I’ll keep you posted as I make changes / progress  

• 2 years later...
8 hours ago, GreatWhiteDope said:

What wire size/type are you using?

The weed guards are readily available now from DRT USA for the k9 and tk

https://drtusafishing.com/division-rebel-tackles-usa-products/view/productdetails/virtuemart_product_id/511/virtuemart_category_id/4.html

1 hour ago, Jim137a said:

Less than 25 cents in material and a set of pliers is also readily available all day everyday