Valkyire world expedition VKC-80XXH-4 “ review requested”

Bassmann86

I picked one up.  Build quality is great, handles feels good, wish the lockdown reel seat was a little nicer but that's just being picky.  

I've throw 2 glides on it and some wake n cranks, casts great, very good feel.  Doesnt feel like a 4 piece rod at all.  I've got it paired with a antares md, 19lb fc sniper.   Havent landed any fish on it yet but I've only had it out 3 times, I'll report back on how it handles fish.

• 5 months later...
1 hour ago, basskid95 said:

Bump for this thread. I have one coming and I'm curious to see other's experiences. 

Had one for 6 months, very versatile and doesn’t feel like a 1 piece at all. had enough backbone to drive home an EWG and still enough give for a treble hook bait. actually felt very similar to an LDC XH

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

It is VERY stiff, not a treble hook rod at all, but considering the limited options of 4-8oz travel rods, I am glad I purchased it. It throws my Legend, 250 and Big chief just fine. I’ve caught freshwater peacocks on the 250 and papio on 7” jerkbaits in the salt. 
In terms of ergonomics, looks, and quality, it is definitely worth the $310 on eBay. 

13 minutes ago, Csweitzer said:

It is VERY stiff, not a treble hook rod at all, but considering the limited options of 4-8oz travel rods, I am glad I purchased it. It throws my Legend, 250 and Big chief just fine. I’ve caught freshwater peacocks on the 250 and papio on 7” jerkbaits in the salt. 
In terms of ergonomics, looks, and quality, it is definitely worth the $310 on eBay. 

So it does handle treble hook baits, even if it's not ideal for the job? @cchapraps seemed to feel it was more than adequate for trebles. 

4 minutes ago, Csweitzer said:

Yes, it’s like throwing a crankbait on a very stiff jig rod. You can absolutely do it, it just doesn’t have the optimal taper for trebles. 

Thanks. I'm actually looking for a travel rod for K9 / GanCraft 230 so maybe I keep looking for now. I've already got one that does the job but isn't really optimal. 

Edited by chevro1et

38 minutes ago, chevro1et said:

Thanks. I'm actually looking for a travel rod for K9 / GanCraft 230 so maybe I keep looking for now. I've already got one that does the job but isn't really optimal. 

You could step down to the VKC-711XH-4. Ben at the hookup says it’s very similar in action to the TS blackjack and it’s rated up to 5.2oz so theoretically it could work for the K9 and JC 230 which are both around 4oz. 

another neat rod to look at is the Cookai CK-710EXHC. It’s a 2pc sea bass rods that specs similar to the VKC-711XH-4 but build on a P5 blank. 

11 minutes ago, Bassmann86 said:

You could step down to the VKC-711XH-4. Ben at the hookup says it’s very similar in action to the TS blackjack and it’s rated up to 5.2oz so theoretically it could work for the K9 and JC 230 which are both around 4oz. 

another neat rod to look at is the Cookai CK-710EXHC. It’s a 2pc sea bass rods that specs similar to the VKC-711XH-4 but build on a P5 blank. 

Yeah, the Valkyrie XH might be a viable option. I was hoping the XXH would be "the one" so I could step up to a Deps 250 if I wanted to. 

2 piece 7'10 just doesn't break down small enough for my needs. 

I watched that Hook Up video last night, and that's what got the gears in my head turning. I'm kinda waiting on the F5 Departure 807 mod-fast coming (hopefully) in the  fall, but there's no guarantees on release dates or securing one when they drop.