Boat Shortage

chefchris

Just wanted to give anyone looking for a boat for the 2022 season a heads up. 

I tried to place an order for a G3 1652 modified v Jon boat a few weeks back, dealer said not a problem, they'll call it in on Tuesday. Well Tuesday came and I got a call from them stating that G3 was already sold out of boats for all of 2022! 

This dealer is an exclusive G3 dealer and has been for 20 plus years, he is being told he will have no inventory for 2022. To say he was upset was an understatement. He was told they actually have oversold their inventory and capabilities for 2022. 

I called around just to check as I was told this by two other g3 dealers from NJ to ME (I'm in RI) There's zero boats available in all of New England as I was willing to drive 3-4 hours in any direction. 

I know Lowe and Tracker are having limits on boats as well. 

Luckily I was able to secure an Alumacraft 1648 modified v Jon boat, which will arrive sometime from September 1st to March 31st 

From what I was told by the dealers is that they are choosing to build the higher end full boats, instead of cheaper price point boats like the jons/v hulls 

so if you're looking for a Jon or project build Id start looking now. seems like shortages are just non stop. 

I ordered my TM (minn kota maxxum 70lb) on national backorder and the fish finder (Lowrance hook reveal 9) is also on national backorder. plus all the stuff from TB nation is taking longer than usual. so I'm stock piling all my parts for the build so I don't have to wait once the boat is in the driveway. 

Hope you guys have better luck in other parts of the country but slim pickings here in NE 

That sucks and this world sucks now. Shortage on everything because of covid they say which I think is BS. People aren't working because they get free money. There was a sign at the local taco bell saying $600 hiring bonus WTF. One thing at a time has a shortage and they raise the price, then it is the next and so on. From toilet paper to Jello for my daughter's lunch. We are all in this together....WTF.

Look at the shortage and price of ammo....

Went to the Mercedes dealership to get my wife a new one, they had one on the lot she liked with a 95K sticker, I was thinking 88 to 89K. They said they are getting 15K over sticker so that is it if I want it. 

Crazy....

Glad you found one and congratulations. I am sure we will be seeing some pigs caugh from it soon.

20 minutes ago, bassbass said:

That sucks and this world sucks now. Shortage on everything because of covid they say which I think is BS. People aren't working because they get free money. There was a sign at the local taco bell saying $600 hiring bonus WTF. One thing at a time has a shortage and they raise the price, then it is the next and so on. From toilet paper to Jello for my daughter's lunch. We are all in this together....WTF.

Went to the Mercedes dealership to get my wife a new one, they had one on the lot she liked with a 95K sticker, I was thinking 88 to 89K. They said they are getting 15K over sticker so that is it if I want it. 

Crazy....

Glad you found one and congratulations. I am sure we will be seeing some pigs caugh from it soon.

Man ammo is no joke been checking daily in hopes of finding a case for Sept 1st and nothing lol 1st year i might just skip it and go fishing lol

Yeah, my Ranger dealer said the same thing in that aluminum is scarce right now.  All aluminum boat companies are struggling right now to  keep up with demand. 

I feel you on the back ordered stuff, I ordered my new 2022 rig back in June and I'm wanting to put all Humminbird Apex units on it, but it looks like I'll have to get a couple Solix or Helix units to hold me over until the Apex units become available.  Every Humminbird dealer I've reached out to says they have no clue when to expect the Apex release (which were unveiled back in November 2020).  I've blown up Humminbird on IG asking for some kind of estimated release date and crickets...

Congrats on your rig

7 minutes ago, Loudsplashbassn_ said:

Man ammo is no joke been checking daily in hopes of finding a case for Sept 1st and nothing lol 1st year i might just skip it and go fishing lol

I was going to say I could point you in the right direction. Then I realized you’re in CA. 

10 hours ago, bassbass said:

Crazy....

I totally agree.  We've  had enough of this BS. I bought the last 46 inch lawn tractor in my area and I was told it would be at least 4 months to get one now. I'm glad I bought that one. 

They need to stop all of this extra unemployment and it will force people to have to carry their lazy butts back to work and get this country back on track and if these other countries cant supply us with the parts we need , then maybe we should try something really crazy like making it here in the USA.  I know that sounds crazy but it might just work.  

Had a G3 rep looking for a new Quabbin boat for me after dealing with unanswered  emails too. He tried but couldn't find one within a 200 mile radius. Lowe, tracker, alumacraft, crestliner nothing but crickets. Last night I emailed a dealer in PA about a Lowe we shall see if I get a reply.

Probably a good time for me to get rid of the Charger 186, I just don't use it and it sits on the side of my garage taking up space.

So it looks like the alumacraft might not happen now too! 

talked to the dealer yesterday, and alumacraft has discontinued sales of that model and all John boats north of Georgia! So they’re still making them just not sending them north. 

another dealer has the boat I want on order and they’re trying to see if they will give up that spot. But it’s not looking good 

@urbanhicki have emailed alumacraft 3x about adding some options to the boat and zero response. Also zero response from the other companies as well. 

the g3 was $4500, the alumacraft was $3,000 and looks like the next and possible only option will be the tracker 1648mv which is $5,000, the price went up $1,000 from 2021 to 2022. 

so patiently waiting the answer from my dealer on the alumacraft. Then will go from there if need be. 

on a plus side the trolling motor and electronics showed up last week. Plus a bunch of lights, parts, pumps etc. 

I ordered a Phoenix in November of 2020 and got it in early March after a three week delay. Shortly after I got my boat they released the 2022 models with a price increase due to covid.

Luckily the pre-owned market is great for boats and cars. Ended up selling my aluminum Crestliner for what I bought it for. Went without a boat for almost 2 months. 

This boat shortage has gotten a little out of control... I decided to buy new back in May because I heard the shortages were going to continue and get worse.  There are plenty of great used boats for sale out there still!  The smaller ones are harder to come by.

On 8/6/2021 at 8:31 PM, Loudsplashbassn_ said:

I’ll trade some for Baits lol

I am an analyst focused on industrial markets and the problem is quite complex and widespread. It has nothing to do with 'people don't want to work' - labor is reduced but not the bottleneck. Across industries, companies are struggling as demand has returned with force but supply of alloy, parts, etc. is still a huge challenge. There is a major bullwhip effect happening in a global supply chain that was already struggling to predict and deliver on increasing product SKUs. Most of the manufacturers I talk to expect their production capacity to be reduced through the end of 2022. Plan across your life accordingly - complex machinery is most impacted.