Big Chungus Northern Pike

manansalsa

I'm a high school student and was hoping I didn't waste the money I worked all summer for on swimbaits; thankfully, today was the payoff. It was crazy how mad this fish was during the fight. She was fat as hell too. Caught on Hayden lake which is right above Coeur d'Alene if you're familiar with the northern Idaho area, right under Canada.

Setup: Leviathan Rods Omega Dragon XXH, Tatula 300, 30lb cxx 50lb daiwa flouro leader, hawghunter magnum kokanee.

No length or weight unfortunately because I didn't have the proper tools, but I could probably estimate by comparing the pics to the size of the front of my kayak

20F554C8-2C56-47B9-A5F4-DA34CC36646F.jpeg

59CCCAB0-12C8-4261-B4B0-0F767752EBE6.jpeg

They make weigh slings for weighing pike. Nasty as those fish can be, they're more delicate than most trout. If I had to guess I would ballpark it somewhere between 10-15 lbs.

On a side note; how far off from Missoula are you?

3 hours ago, FishDr said:

Congrats on a slab of a northern!  What a fish.  You should definitely get a length estimate, just run a measuring tape from where her tail was to where her nose was - you'll be accurate within an inch or so.

Yeah, will do. I'm going to start bringing the longer tape that comes with the WCZ measuring board.

2 hours ago, Jon P said:

They make weigh slings for weighing pike. Nasty as those fish can be, they're more delicate than most trout. If I had to guess I would ballpark it somewhere between 10-15 lbs.

On a side note; how far off from Missoula are you?

I'm about a 3 hour drive away from Missoula