Flooded river stud

CG_Fishes

I spent this past weekend at home for the first time since going up to college. It was nice to get away from the craziness of school for a few days and just unwind, as well as seeing my parents and dog. The whole time I was looking forward to the pike trip I had planned with my buddy a few weeks in advance. We had been watching the weather, and although we were uncertain of how the bite would be with the 2-3ft raise in water levels and 20 degree drops in air temps we decided to get out. When we arrived at the spot, the water was higher than expected and bank access was limited to say the least. We were quite literally fishing from the woods, making a full cast was near impossible but we weren't going to give up yet. We immediately knew that we made the right choice when a low 30s class fish swiped at my buddy's jake (a big pike/musky jerkbait) in the first few minutes. I was also throwing a jake but eventually decided that there was no need to be doing the same thing and picked up my 8" magdraft that was kindly given to me by @BOZ this past winter. I gave it 10 casts, and while explaining to my buddy how I work soft baits the rod was just about yanked out of my hands. The adrenaline rush was immediate as I was nearing 20 consecutive trips without a fish, and of course I thought it was a giant since he had landed a 40.5" fish just a week prior. When I saw the fish surface I knew it wasn't quite as big as I initially thought but knew it was over 30, so a very solid fish for me. He scrambled to get the net through the brush and we scooped her up. I lost my mind and the shakes set in, at 32.5" this is my 2nd biggest pike ever and my 5th over 30. We snapped some pics and watched her swim off as strong as either of us could have hoped. I'm now back at school but stoked for our (hopeful) upcoming trip this Friday!

1832814312_Pike32(1).thumb.jpg.83b8218932e002340fab12f6c71beeae.jpg

217189743_Pikefull-32(3).thumb.jpg.0ea0611690601c27dca7c308c78ae624.jpg

1762231166_Pike32(2).thumb.jpg.acea3567cfeb7cb84b8cba6e2410f6af.jpg

557160786_Pikeboard32(3).thumb.jpg.dd6fc1420f5a2c52237278c4596ee362.jpg

1 minute ago, willlliw said:

great fish! flooded/high waters always kills my confidence when im fishing, awesome that the fish are still active!

I love high water for pike in the fall and spring when they want to be shallow. They stack up in predictable areas where they can avoid the current in slack water

13 minutes ago, FishDr said:

Great fish and nice write-up!  Where are you going to college?

Thank you, I am currently attending SUNY College of Environmental Science and Forestry (ESF) for my B.S. in Aquatics and Fisheries Science