Gettin em' to commit

GrayBass

How on earth do you get followers to commit. I can draw em out of cover, nose rubbing the bottom of the bait, following the glide. If I twitch it left, the fish goes left, if I twitch it right then right it goes, but all of the fish have lock-jaw. Today I watched a nice, three or four pounder sniff the tail of my s-waver for a solid 20 feet, before it saw the boat and decided to hide on the bottom of the river for years to come. I would estimate that I get 100+ followers to every one I get to bite. Are you fellas seeing similar numbers to this? If not, tell me your secrets!

It’s one of the hardest things to do. If you are fishing a glide give some fast reel twitches. With a soft bait sink it down and pray. My issue is actually honking a fish when they bite. I’m 1 for my last 10 bites on the 250.

I 8 trap them, I've only caught a handful of fish doing it. The bigger fish more likely they will bite when 8 trapping for me.  I have a hard time getting the 3.5  lbs and 4.5lbs bass to bite when I do it.   I've tried 50+ times to 8 trap with rat baits and only had 2 bass try to nip at the bait.   With glidebaits and soft baits I can usually get them to bite I say 1 out 4 to 5 times. But bigger the bass more likely I'm able to get them to commit.   With rat baits I fill like you better off to make sure the bass doesn't see you and just twitch it.

Just now, basssavage24/7 said:

I 8 trap them, I've only caught a handful of fish doing it. The bigger fish more likely they will bite when 8 trapping for me.  I have a hard time getting the 3.5  lbs and 4.5lbs bass to bite when I do it.   I've tried 50+ times to 8 trap with rat baits and only had 2 bass try to nip at the bait.   With glidebaits and soft baits I can usually get them to bite I say 1 out 4 to 5 times. But bigger the bass more likely I'm able to get them to commit.   With rat baits I fill like you better off to make sure the bass doesn't see you and just twitch it.

Well know thinking about it. I say more then a handful of fish. But bigger the fish the more likely im able to get them to bit when I get followers.

Try doing what I do: don’t wear sunglasses and not see the majority of the followers! Can’t miss what you never see haha

in all seriousness though, it’s frustrating, but don’t let it get to you. The fact that you’re getting followers is a positive sign. Experiment, try new stuff. Leave the area for awhile and go back. Sometimes they just don’t wanna bite. 

Common answer but...just gotta find what works on your water. I've tried being more aggresive and learned it turns off my followers. But for some reason they prefer it when I slow down and just leave the bait alone for a second or two.

Let the fish tell you.