Deep Cycle Battery Recommendations

chefchris

Need to get 3 batteries for the new boat (Tracker Grizzly 1648) and wanted to see if anyone had some good recommendations. 

I'm not going the lithium route, 1 the price I cant justify right now and 2 I need the extra weight in the back 1/3 of the boat to off set my weight while I'm in front 

I've been using the size 29 batteries from wal mart (ever start) for my crawdads ( I have two I rotate day to day) and going on 2 years with almost no issues, except one seems to die faster than the other (water levels checked all the time) 

two batteries will be for the TM (minn kota maxxum 70) and the other will be for the fish finder and lights/accessories 

I agree with the other guys above, interstate all the way. Best quality for the price. I run an auto repair shop and we are an interstate dealer, I can’t remember the last time I’ve had to warranty one (other than a guy who jump started his truck with the cables reversed)

I think you either go high end(lithium) or as cheap as you can and replace them often. I was really eyeballing AGM’s for the boat which I put a fortrex 80 on. I love my Vmaxx tanks I have for the yak, but they’re like $200 each. I went with 3 Everstart 27s for cranking and TM. About $300 total and from what I hear, they’re lasting guys 3-5 years. I can fish a 10 hour day in the wind and still have 2 of 5 bars left on the charger. I’ll run these til they die and then consider lithium. 

I researched batteries for while for my Ranger I found the absolute best bang for my buck to be the Duracell’s Platinum AMG! 3 group 31’s at Sam’s less than $600 out the door! If I get 4-5 years I’ll be stocked 2 1/2 so far not one issue! I’ve gone fishing for the weekend when I got home each time and plugged  it in the charger I’d have at least 1/3 of the bars still lit. Most importantly no matter what batteries you get make sure they on charge every time when you get home! 

Interesting.... Well, my conscious is getting the best of me here and though I don't wanting to step on toes I'm compelled to share my experience. Interstate batteries are manufactured in Mexico. Not a quality issue, per se, but made in bulk, shipped in bulk, stored here in bulk by distributers, distributed to retailers where it could be stored yet again. It's not uncommon for an Interstate battery to be 2 years old before you even put it in your boat. Currently even more so given backlogged items shipped and material and supply issues all over the planet thanks to China. Fair warning.

2 hours ago, Good Year 71 said:

Interesting.... Well, my conscious is getting the best of me here and though I don't wanting to step on toes I'm compelled to share my experience. Interstate batteries are manufactured in Mexico. Not a quality issue, per se, but made in bulk, shipped in bulk, stored here in bulk by distributers, distributed to retailers where it could be stored yet again. It's not uncommon for an Interstate battery to be 2 years old before you even put it in your boat. Currently even more so given backlogged items shipped and material and supply issues all over the planet thanks to China. Fair warning.

00A0BBB0-E93E-4FFF-9494-6AF3C8450FE2.thumb.jpeg.6e3c642536a65dd6115cf2e15aac206a.jpeg

There is a date code stamped in the side of every interstate battery, the first digit is the year of manufacture, the letter beside it corresponds to the month (A=January, B=February, C=March, etc.) so the battery above is April of 2021...I’m not sure how other dealers work but at our shop once we slow down in the fall they’ll leave us with minimal inventory then swap them out for brand new ones in the spring when we start putting boats in, so we never have inventory more than a couple months old.

Ill also add that we service about 300 boats a year and may have one warranty claim a year, but I can’t tell you how many cranking batteries I change out that are 10-12 years old. We only sell the marine XHD line for cranking batteries but I have no qualms about recommending them to anyone