bank beater in need of bait knocker!

Wolverino

Anything is better then nothing... I would look for something with chains though. I have the hound dog as well and it was saved a good bit of baits for me. Get yourself a good bit of paracord though. I have saved a fair bit of baits but just tossing the knocker out and dragging it close to the bait.

Pair of goggles and a snorkel depending on how dirty this local pond is some hepatitis shots just in case lol,  but for real just feel lucky to be able to swim to your baits. Not every on here that lucky, because you know Gators. I feel blessed that I have the option of the Polar Plunge up north. 

But no bait is worth dying over be careful and the best of luck to you.

7 hours ago, Wolverino said:

sooo… lost my 5” bullshad at my local pond today now im in the market for a bait knocker!

wat do you guys use? recommends please and thanks peeps

I’m not sure it’ll work very well from shore.. when my baits get snagged I go in as far as I can with waders on and grab it or work different angles till it comes off the snag. If not I keep a small inflatable in my trunk. Get right over it with a 3oz weight on a sliding swivel and drop it straight down… this is what I’ve done at least Lolol 

13 minutes ago, BayAreaAngler said:

I’m not sure it’ll work very well from shore.. when my baits get snagged I go in as far as I can with waders on and grab it or work different angles till it comes off the snag. If not I keep a small inflatable in my trunk. Get right over it with a 3oz weight on a sliding swivel and drop it straight down… this is what I’ve done at least Lolol 

100% i keep one in my trunk save my butt a few times. Been so long I've had to use it i forgot about that.  The life of a dirty bank beater. 

X2 on working the bait from different angles to jostle the bait loose. Before that click the reel into free spool then walk down shore if possible on slack line. Tighten the line a bit and try bow and arrow snaps. Try to slowly, gently pull without breaking off to straighten out the hooks ...especially round bends. If your park has thick mill tarp or public works structure then the bait is toast. If the hooks are snagged on rocks the bait will pop loose eventually. Caught in a rock wedge. More burnt toast.

2 hours ago, BayAreaAngler said:

This. A low-cost float tube with fins and a set of cheap waders is what you need.  If you hang a bait, tie it off, go back to the car and get in the tube - your chances of getting it back are much greater if you can either get directly above it or, better still, on the side opposite the bank and pull it out the way it went in.

I’m not doing this for a $50 dollar Bull Shad...but for my hard to come by/expensive baits, I’ve waded and swam in all seasons from the bank. If I can’t work the lure loose from any angle, I just peel off a lot of slack line and start going where the line takes me. Once I’m over it, I go under if I have to and work it free. But I know most of the areas I’m fishing well from a lifetime of fishing those same areas in my boat with sonar. Be very careful doing this though. Really. People have gotten hung up on structure and drowned doing stupid crap like this. But I’ve been told many many times in my 47 years that I am in fact "not normal". So I think I should give a disclaimer...DO NOT TRY THIS. Listen to the guys above. 

1 hour ago, DrewManFishing said:

All great responses above but guys, I also need a bait knocker recommendation….. anybody?

Depending on the size baits you throw and your set up, this would be my choice. I would attach a D ring or something through the hole for rope to simply use whatever size rope you like. https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Premier_Machine_44_Mag_Lure_Retreiver_Plug_Knocker/descpage-PRMM.html?from=gshop&gclid=Cj0KCQjw8p2MBhCiARIsADDUFVHYCowtxbOXbP40uqhG4RxBVAq6LO4V7Y64Mcdeg4s4EflRNiu8odMaAvVZEALw_wcB

There was a guy on eBay that made one with a length of pipe and chains hanging down the length. You could use it as a retriever or dragger. But I couldn’t find them now. I know Daiwa makes some that aren’t as robust as the 44 Mag that might suit you better. 

Edited by SVT THUNDER
Spelling

11 minutes ago, SVT THUNDER said:

Depending on the size baits you throw and your set up, this would be my choice. I would attach a D ring or something through the hole for rope to simply use whatever size rope you like. https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Premier_Machine_44_Mag_Lure_Retreiver_Plug_Knocker/descpage-PRMM.html?from=gshop&gclid=Cj0KCQjw8p2MBhCiARIsADDUFVHYCowtxbOXbP40uqhG4RxBVAq6LO4V7Y64Mcdeg4s4EflRNiu8odMaAvVZEALw_wcB

There was a guy on eBay that made one with a length of pipe and chains hanging down the length. You could use it as a retriever or dragger. But I couldn’t find them now. I know Daiwa makes some that aren’t as robust as the 44 Mag that might suit you better. 

Thanks! I ordered this 10 minutes before I saw ur comment haha

2 hours ago, FishDr said:

This. A low-cost float tube with fins and a set of cheap waders is what you need.  If you hang a bait, tie it off, go back to the car and get in the tube - your chances of getting it back are much greater if you can either get directly above it or, better still, on the side opposite the bank and pull it out the way it went in.

100% agree