Roman Made Trophy Walleye

benczar94

Damn, that is so sick! I have been waiting for a walleye to eat one of my baits for years. Targeting pike, musky and smallmouth in rivers known for holding trophy walleye I would have thought that I would have pulled one up. Great catches though, so cool!

FishDr yeah I did get most of them to go during the day but the lake I was on has never been very good to me in low light or after dark for whatever reason. I was catching most of them in 4 feet or less of water, some were biting light but the bigger ones were hitting it pretty hard. Even caught some 14-16 inchers on it.

1 hour ago, benczar94 said:

FishDr yeah I did get most of them to go during the day but the lake I was on has never been very good to me in low light or after dark for whatever reason. I was catching most of them in 4 feet or less of water, some were biting light but the bigger ones were hitting it pretty hard. Even caught some 14-16 inchers on it.

That's really cool - the lakes where I tend to get my big swimbait walleyes are pretty clear and deep, but the fish do move in shallow under cover of darkness to try to bushwhack stocker trout and often hit the bait in 2 - 3' feet of water.  Does your lake have pretty good water clarity?  I'm starting to get inspired to make some daytime trips to a couple of the lakes I like to see what I might be able to draw out of the depths - I'll need to break out the thermal underwear though - the water temp is going to be brisk!

Yes it has pretty good water clarity, sometimes 4 foot visibility, sometimes 10+ just depends on wind. I’d say it’s always worth a try during the day, and worst case scenario you’ll probably get some followers to help identify good areas to try. Far too often I think people start too subtle and small for walleye when often times they will respond to larger and more aggressive presentations even in freezing water temps. I think in the situations I’ve had success they have really been keyed in on year old perch up shallow.

18 hours ago, benczar94 said:

Far too often I think people start too subtle and small for walleye when often times they will respond to larger and more aggressive presentations even in freezing water temps. I think in the situations I’ve had success they have really been keyed in on year old perch up shallow.

I could not agree more with this statement :-D