Question for the teen swimbait fishermen

young swimbait chucker

What bassbass said, I joined this forum in 2013 when I was 14 and that’s when I started throwing big baits. Take advantage of Christmas and birthdays and ask for gift cards to TW or your local tackle shop. (Support your local tackle shop as much as possible). Time on the water is the only way you’ll catch a big fish. A wall of swimbaits staring at you won’t. Pick a few baits you like and throw them heavy, spend time learning every bait. I didn’t get a job until I was 18 but take advantage of living at home as well, with no bills to pay (or budget if you do have bills). Adulting sucks once you move out, especially in Cali. 

22 hours ago, young swimbait chucker said:

I am 17 and have been swimbait fishing for a bit now. My dad used to fish tournements back in the day but he is done with those now. He hates swimbaits and i mean hates and hates that i fish them. He says what most conventional fisherman say about swimbaits that they are too big and too expensive but my mom is fine with it so i wanna know what your parents say about swimbaits and how much you spend on them.

My dad was always super supportive because he was the one that introduced me to swimbaits. I’m 20 now so I support myself but I remember for birthdays and Christmas I would always ask for new baits lol. At the end of the day, I’ve had so many cool,hype,high end baits in the $3-6 hundred dollar range. And I sold them all. You know why? Because literally all of my best producing swimbaits are the ones that people overlook. Most of them are in the $40-$80 range. My point is don’t think you need a $500 bait to catch fish.

I’m 17 and I got into swimbaits when I was 14. I begged my dad for a 100$ order on Tw for a few baits to try on the weekend. When they came he called me a dumba$$ because here in Wisconsin you’d never think to throw a 6-8 inch bait. But when we were fishing and I out fished him that weekend he understood. To say the least I completely changed his mind about it. Now I buy my own baits and spend more than I should on lures I don’t need, But that’s everyone. Now my dad doesn’t fish much more because of medical conditions and whenever I catch a 4 or 5 pounder on a rat or big glide it blows his mind and that puts a smile on my face to say the least. My mom doesn’t care too much on spending but thinks it’s funny whenever I get packages in the mail from Japan lol

9 minutes ago, 96straight said:

I’m 17 and I got into swimbaits when I was 14. I begged my dad for a 100$ order on Tw for a few baits to try on the weekend. When they came he called me a dumba$$ because here in Wisconsin you’d never think to throw a 6-8 inch bait. But when we were fishing and I out fished him that weekend he understood. To say the least I completely changed his mind about it. Now I buy my own baits and spend more than I should on lures I don’t need, But that’s everyone. Now my dad doesn’t fish much more because of medical conditions and whenever I catch a 4 or 5 pounder on a rat or big glide it blows his mind and that puts a smile on my face to say the least. My mom doesn’t care too much on spending but thinks it’s funny whenever I get packages in the mail from Japan lol

See this is what I was looking for people my age to tell me what their parents think about swimbaits not financial advise lol. 

Just now, young swimbait chucker said:

See this is what I was looking for people my age to tell me what their parents think about swimbaits not financial advise lol. 

As Tay Money once said “I understand the assignment” 

On 12/5/2021 at 4:21 PM, young swimbait chucker said:

I am 17 and have been swimbait fishing for a bit now. My dad used to fish tournements back in the day but he is done with those now. He hates swimbaits and i mean hates and hates that i fish them. He says what most conventional fisherman say about swimbaits that they are too big and too expensive but my mom is fine with it so i wanna know what your parents say about swimbaits and how much you spend on them.

I've been fishing big swimbaits for a year now and my dad teases me about how all the fish on a spotted bass lake are running for dear life from my bait. I haven't spent a crazy amount of money on big swimbaits, partially because I don't have much, but I have at least spent $200. Buying stuff like the bull shad, burrito, ganteral, s-waver, etc. Any suggestions about a big swimbait that'll work on a spot lake?

Just now, BigBassLife133 said:

I've been fishing big swimbaits for a year now and my dad teases me about how all the fish on a spotted bass lake are running for dear life from my bait. I haven't spent a crazy amount of money on big swimbaits, partially because I don't have much, but I have at least spent $200. Buying stuff like the bull shad, burrito, ganteral, s-waver, etc. Any suggestions about a big swimbait that'll work on a spot lake?

what lake is it? I fish the tn river in chattanooga and have caught spots the same size as my spook they are crazy fish but idk about big swimbaits

lol my dad understands it but just says he would never be able to do it himself. I am always doing odd jobs for people to afford baits. Washing windows, cleaning gutters, and gardening lol. Definitely get a job. and spend ALL ur money on baits! 

1 hour ago, DrewManFishing said:

lol my dad understands it but just says he would never be able to do it himself. I am always doing odd jobs for people to afford baits. Washing windows, cleaning gutters, and gardening lol. Definitely get a job. and spend ALL ur money on baits! 

difficult getting a job now for me because of school and lacrose but yeah i got my first job last summer and loved it ima tryand work at a marina next summer get the deals on rods reels and lures

If I got big into big swimbaits my parents would go crazy.  I was lucky enough to receive some swimbaits to get started, and caught a few fish them.  I’m more of a conventional lure fisherman, but will throw big baits in the smaller lakes in KC.  I fish high school tourneys and not many tourneys are won on big baits here in Kansas.   

I worked all summer, for $8 an hour doing HVAC to pay for my fishing stuff, as well as continuing to save up for a truck.  Get a job, everyone is hiring!  

Ask for money for B-days and Christmas while you can.  All I asked for was 1000 yard spools of Red Label for Christmas.

If someone ask you to do a small job, do it.  Make money any way you can.  Get a job, everyone is hiring! 

DO NOT tell your parents how much you spent, unless they ask.  Buy in store if you can, easier to smuggle tackle into the house, if it isn’t dropped off by UPS.

Try and get deals on stuff, always have an eye on the Black Market.

On 12/5/2021 at 1:21 PM, young swimbait chucker said:

Both of my parents don’t fish and never really have. I’m also 17 so I was in the same boat as you. My best advice is to get a job so you spend your money on swimbaits and not your parents. That’s what worked well for me.

8 hours ago, Rdoerfler said:

Both of my parents don’t fish and never really have. I’m also 17 so I was in the same boat as you. My best advice is to get a job so you spend your money on swimbaits and not your parents. That’s what worked well for me.

I dont ask my parents to buy any of my fishing stuff unless its for christmas or birthday

im 17 and well my mom doesnt really care i fish but my dad thinks its dumb and it wont get me anywhere in life and well yk a waste of money and such i work at my dads auto body shop so i get my money but well  dont buy stuff due to them always on my ass about buying stuff and wasting my money so i just think dont buy super expensive rare baits at first like buy what you think you need for your waters and space out how you buy your fishing gear so they arent on your ass. alsooo what are some good spots in Chattanooga i stay there for a day when my family drives down to Florida and  i want to fish the TN river but idk where