Topwater Striper

SumoNinja

One of my recent catches on a Big Grandpa by Finnbait Customs 

If it looks like a lot of work, it is. It's a 12" wood punker-type bait and I had the wrong reel for the job but I've since upgraded my reel to a faster one and it fishes 10x better. 

20211206_111907.jpg

20211204_153757.jpg

Edited by SumoNinja

15 minutes ago, Alex said:

That’s was cool!!! Nothing beats top water. What blank dobyns did you use? Thanks for posting 

It's the best. I had an awesome crazy blowup on my next trip but it was raining all day so I didn't bring the gopro

That's an 867. It bombs that bait 

1 hour ago, FishDr said:

It looked like you were working a popper for GTs!  :-D

The blow-up was sweet - nice fish!

Yea tbh too, I wasn't working it that hard all day. That was at the end of the day and my whole arm was tired. In the video I was using mainly my shoulder to do most of the work because doing it that way was easier. It's normally not that sloppy, and much easier with the faster reel I got on that rod now. It's very taxing if u use that bait almost all day. Probably 80% of the time. We opened the lake and shut it down that day

4 minutes ago, DirtySouthGlide said:

Nice catch bro. Them things are fun, especially on a top water plug. I have been throwing a 9” Megadog and my low gear tranx seems to slow. So you like that faster reel for that big top water? 

Most definitely. It's all about the slack and pickup for these big walking baits. I have limited experience with them and still learning myself. But u gotta figure out the right cadence to make it do what it's made to do. Too much or too little slack being given or picked up and you're just dragging a stick on top.

For me, ideally, for each sweep of the rod that makes it walk to one side, u need half a turn to a full turn of the handle to pick up that slack just enough to do the next sweep to get the bait to walk the other way. If u look at my video closely I had to do a lot of 2 reel turns at times to pick up the slack. When u have the right reel it's so much easier to retrieve and less of a pain to fish