Boat Suggestions (1st time Boater)

jmpatacsil

I just sold my kayak and now I'm looking into getting my 1st boat. as a first time boater, does anyone have any tips on what to look for or suggestions on a boat? Budget is ~$10k

I'm leaning towards aluminum with a 4 stroke. Just waiting for the right one to pop up for sale on FB or offerup. Are there any websites or places you recommend to look for used boats? Should I get a older/cheaper fiberglass boat instead of aluminum? 

I am located in San Diego Commiefornia 

Facebook or talk around. I recently picked up a 2003 Ranger 519vx in decent shape for 5k. Yes it needed work but that's also the fun part is you get to make it the way you want it. It also depends on what you plan on doing. I kayak as well but for big water lakes I definitely love to motor to a spot then spend alot of time peddling. For 10k you can find a ton of different options. You could get a tracker 14 with trailer, tiller outboard, and trolling motor. 

Older fiberglass boats always have hidden problems that slowly work there way out. I worked at boat shop this summer and those sub 10k fiberglass boats will more times than not be filled with issues. An aluminum and a four stroke would be my personal choice

Check on western bass they have a classified section and alot of those for sale are in cali. Also bass boat central

My first bass boat was a 99 tracker pro team 185 with a 75hp 2 stroke. I payed 5200 bucks and had to go to phoenix to get it. Great boat but it wasnt very long before I wanted to upgrade. Its always windy here and I was sick of getting wet and getting beat to the boils! Hahaha

I started searching and saving for a glass rig and it took 6-8 months but finally found my 04 Champion 188 elite with a 200hp evinrude here in Vegas and I am a very happy man.

Take your time and be very picky. Dont rush into a boat if you dont want to have a pit you just throw money into. Owning a boat is expensive anyway but buying a junkpile will be 10 times as bad.

PM me if you want some tips in the search and inspection process and good luck man!

2 hours ago, jmpatacsil said:

I just sold my kayak and now I'm looking into getting my 1st boat. as a first time boater, does anyone have any tips on what to look for or suggestions on a boat? Budget is ~$10k

I'm leaning towards aluminum with a 4 stroke. Just waiting for the right one to pop up for sale on FB or offerup. Are there any websites or places you recommend to look for used boats? Should I get a older/cheaper fiberglass boat instead of aluminum? 

I am located in San Diego Commiefornia 

There is a facebook group called “ Cheap Bass Boat for under 10K” https://www.facebook.com/groups/275256246246938/?ref=share (hopefully that link works.) There is usually some pretty fire stuff on there. You can click the “sort” button and you can choose an option to put them in order from closest to your location to see what there is. 

I routinely check craigslist and use searchtempest to search within a radius of me.  I'm also in the SD area and been kinda looking for a boat.  I'd prefer a bigger glass boat because it's so windy here on all of our lakes.  Whenever I'm in a rental or fish out of a bass tracker, I get blown around so hard it's aggravating.  I've yet to fish out of an aluminum with a spot lock trolling motor tho.  I usually hitch rides in my buddies' glass boats and it's just so much nicer.

so i bit the bullet this year on my first real boat, after countless hours searching all the pages/internet/calling around and finding insanely priced used boats, i went new with a 2022 tracket grizzly 1648 ($5500 boat only), but after 9.9 motor, trailer, all the electronics, TM, fish finder, batteries, wires, all the parts soup to nuts im over 10Gs already, but everything is new and ill have the perfect boat for my waters and my style of fishing so that works for me. 

around here most places have a 10hp limit so having a 25/40 like my buddies is almost useless at a lot of the ponds/lakes we fish, probably wont have that issue being in CA 

i went aluminum just due to my fishing style, places we fish, size of the bodies of water, etc, all the boats ive fished on have been aluminum (trackers/lunds/etc) 

my buddy/fishing partner picked up a 2009 tracker pro 175tw from BPS about 5-6 years ago for under 10K, 25hp, super low hours, but ended up having to upgrade the TM, all the electronics, and add another fish finder on the bow. but the boat has been basically maintenance free besides for the usual stuff. 

i would suggest looking around a lot, the used boat market has been insane since covid at least here in NE, i looked from ME to NJ/PA and prices/selection sucked and made me go new. 

try and narrow it down to what you NEED, not what you WANT. 

8 minutes ago, StriperAddict said:

Break

Out

Another

Thousand

This is very true in owning a bass boat!

Indeed!

In current economic times it’s break out several more thousand and we’ll put you on a waitlist to get your stuff lol.

For the OP, some tips:

No matter what boat you get, the money is in the engine. Have a mechanic hook it up to run diagnostics on it.  Low hours are good if it was used regularly, if it’s an older engine with low hours and very little use it has high potential to be a basket case.  
Look out for damaged skegs, bent props, milky oil, misfires during operation, general corrosion anywhere under the cowling.  I’ll also give a look over the parts (injectors, vst, fuel pumps, etc), if it all looks factory, bolts still in original positions etc then it hasn’t had any major issues or been serviced.  If there’s anything new, non-oem or youcan tell bolts/screws have been wrenched on, definitely ask about it. Check fuel hoses, should be soft and pliable, anything old and cracked will need to be replaced. Check gas tank for old or waterlogged fuel.  Check steering, hydraulic is best, look for leaks in the cylinder and helm.  If it’s cable steering it should move back and forth smoothly and not bind or be stiff.  Also check age of batteries, trolling motor and turn on all systems including running lights to make sure they work.  I’ll also look at the wiring and assume anything old, cracked, corroded or just poorly installed I’m gonna have to redo.  

On the hull….Id look for corrosion, pitting or oxidation in areas that generally don’t dry quickly or areas where dissimilar metals are in contact.  Carpeted trailer bunk boards can hold water that corrodes, water puddles in the bilge, any corners that puddle water are all suspect.  If the owner has rigged anything themself and used stainless screws or bolts (transducers, trolling motors) check those areas where the metal is in contact with hull.  If the boat is painted look for pitting, water can sometimes penetrate the paint and corrode from behind it.

Glass boats have their own issues, soft spots, rotted transoms, gel coat cracks, rotted stringers etc.  I will say, they ride better, are quieter and I can probably repair all those issue in my driveway if I wanted to.  Aluminum hulls are lighter making them easier to tow with smaller vehicles, you can get away with smaller boat engines which is helpful down the line when it comes repower time.  Overall you’ll probably get more boat for the dollar going AL hull.

Trailer, in San Diego they may have used it in the bay exposing it to saltwater.  It will probably be a box tube frame, check it for rust, including on the inside of the tubes. Also look for rust around the hardware.  Galvanized is better but most fw boats I’ve seen are comin with painted trailers, they don’t hold up as long.  Look at the axles to make sure they’re solid, look for any bends, scraping damage etc.  Also make sure they’re square on the trailer, seen people hit stuff that knocks em out of alignment.  Bearings and hubs, I always assume they’re junk and replace.  Tires, check dates and replace if near expiration no matter how good a shape they’re in.  Try not to to tow it very far after sale if they’re weathered or cracked. Trailer lights, if they actually work, that’s a huge score lol, I always have to replace them too. 

Electronics can be tricky.  I personally wouldn’t factor them a whole lot into the overall price unless they’re pretty new or have some big tech in them or are all networked by a professional.  

The regular wear stuff I mentioned, batteries, wiring, tires, bearings, fuel lines, trailer lights, etc aren’t deal breakers, just know that it’s gonna add to the cost up front.  Also check registration for back fees and be sure to get a pink slip for the trailer.  Be aware that dmv will also ding you when you transfer titles…..as a general rule I always buy “project boats” and never pay more than a couple hundred bucks for them if you get my drift.  I think San Diego also charges some type of annual luxury tax on them too…good ol taxifornia.

Ahhhhh boats…….good times, lol.

Just now, DrewManFishing said:

Got mine off of Craigslist around 5 years ago, love it 

I started with a used tracker, then got a new one with a galvanized trailer fished bass to tuna, loved it. Then a new Nitro, not so happy with it. Then a new Champion 191 elite and loved it kepth it for more then 20 years. Then a new Skeeter 225ZX and like it so far. This gos back over 30 years, way before fishing was cool. And from way back then to now I always have a 10' Jon boat ready to go.

Theinfamous gave you a pretty good list there, I would definitely echo his suggestion about older engines that have done a lot of sitting...I’m a mechanic at a marina and it never fails that every summer a couple of people will bring us some Craigslist specials that they’ve gotten a great deal on and it’s a boat that’s sat for years and they end up having tons of trouble with them 

I would suggest smelling the fuel and making sure that it doesn’t smell old as that’s a pretty fair indication that ones been sitting for a long time

I would probably suggest going with a fiberglass boat personally if you plan to fish and bigger lakes or waters that tend to get rough, if you’re doing more pond hopping then aluminum is probably fine

And if you’re planning to only use it in fresh water then I would steer clear of anything that has ever been in saltwater, boats that have been in saltwater tend to host more electrical/corrosion problems in general

Good luck and happy to answer any questions you have

17 hours ago, t_huff99 said:

Older fiberglass boats always have hidden problems that slowly work there way out. I worked at boat shop this summer and those sub 10k fiberglass boats will more times than not be filled with issues. An aluminum and a four stroke would be my personal choice

thanks for the insight, I'm on the right track then