First baits

Spencer_518

Baits cut. One almost fully shaped and sanded. Today was a tough day tried painting a bait and just couldn’t get it to work with it being so cold in the garage. Our new plan is to hold off on all the detailed carving and painting and to focus on getting the profile, weighting and hinge uniform on multiple baits. The paint jobs and all that just make baits look cool. We want effective baits that catch fish so once we get this down we will start to focus on carving and painting. The gill glides are coming along nicely and I have the profile that I like for the sucker/fallfish glide. 6inches in length a healthy snack for a northeast bass.

A63A6BCE-3F8C-4846-8725-FF6634316D72.jpeg

8E2A4051-C453-44F0-BE1F-E7220FA683A3.jpeg

3 hours ago, Spencer_518 said:

Welp, took em out for a swim. Every single one besides one bait was a failure. Trial and error. Pretty frustrating though. Not sure where to start and figure out where I went wrong. Just gonna keep grindin’

Were the bottom two supposed to be glides? If so adding a tail could make a huge difference. If the top two are lipless swimmers I’d try to concentrate the ballast right in front of that first joint. Good luck and don’t stop grinding. Remember to take those notes!

1 minute ago, danthefisherman said:

Were the bottom two supposed to be glides? If so adding a tail could make a huge difference. If the top two are lipless swimmers I’d try to concentrate the ballast right in front of that first joint. Good luck and don’t stop grinding. Remember to take those notes!

I ended up making 2 glides, 2 wakes and the rat wake. I’ll take some pics of them and the bottom profiles. I think I know where I went wrong on a few 

13 hours ago, danthefisherman said:

The two glides float so I didn’t have enough weight. The rat has no weight which I’m going add some to have it sit a little lower in the water. Someone told me to try the rat without weight first because the hardware may give it enough. Might change the name to my baits to BUNK BAITS. Has a nice ring LOL

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• 2 weeks later...