First baits

Spencer_518

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CbTeWr2l4EE/?utm_medium=copy_link

finally getting something dialed in a bit. I have 3 more baits to put together and test. I’m really looking to get a baits to fish tight to cover that can slash back and forth subsurface. It’s worked great for me on other baits like toxic WNC, bull wake and TK. Cranks and burns good. 

Maybe this kid can make some baits for me… this is the first negative trollage I’ve gotten. I’m not really phased but actually intrigued because I actually caught a fish on my bunk ass bait. 

got a few more baits I’m assembling in the next few days. Hoping to replicate. We will see.

96FD2BC1-7D85-4B17-A808-399D43BD6369.jpeg

1 hour ago, Spencer_518 said:

Maybe this kid can make some baits for me… this is the first negative trollage I’ve gotten. I’m not really phased but actually intrigued because I actually caught a fish on my bunk ass bait. 

got a few more baits I’m assembling in the next few days. Hoping to replicate. We will see.

I don’t get what people hope to gain with this kind of behavior. Sure, the baits are simple…but they obviously get bit and most every builder starts at this same level. Don’t let other people’s negativity stop you from trying to pursue/perfect your craft. Keep at it and perhaps one day he will see the value in your work and be happy to get a chance to fish one of your baits.

2AD70ED2-5B66-40C2-B649-B845082EE947.thumb.jpeg.d23b2b83729ad093405a9ceadbd47292.jpeg

This was my first “big swimbait” build, and I can say with 100% confidence that  it would look way uglier than yours without the eyes and nail polish paint job. When I shared this build with SU way back sure people were honest enough with me to say it wasn’t much to look at (which I appreciate)…but they encouraged me onward saying even the ugliest baits can slay on the water. Now it’s my turn to return the favor. Keep up the good work and never stop trying to improve. Potential can only go so far as perseverance. You’re already catching fish on your work which is a positive sign that you’re heading in the right direction.

Happy building and keep us updated!

Dan

8 hours ago, danthefisherman said:

I don’t get what people hope to gain with this kind of behavior. Sure, the baits are simple…but they obviously get bit and most every builder starts at this same level. Don’t let other people’s negativity stop you from trying to pursue/perfect your craft. Keep at it and perhaps one day he will see the value in your work and be happy to get a chance to fish one of your baits.

2AD70ED2-5B66-40C2-B649-B845082EE947.thumb.jpeg.d23b2b83729ad093405a9ceadbd47292.jpeg

This was my first “big swimbait” build, and I can say with 100% confidence that  it would look way uglier than yours without the eyes and nail polish paint job. When I shared this build with SU way back sure people were honest enough with me to say it wasn’t much to look at (which I appreciate)…but they encouraged me onward saying even the ugliest baits can slay on the water. Now it’s my turn to return the favor. Keep up the good work and never stop trying to improve. Potential can only go so far as perseverance. You’re already catching fish on your work which is a positive sign that you’re heading in the right direction.

Happy building and keep us updated!

Dan

I really appreciate that. Im not so much phased by it as im entertained because I know how many hours im putting in on these and like you said everyone starts somewhere. I am just choosing to show every step of the journey its just how I am.  Maybe it will influence someone else to try it out too. 

https://youtu.be/8Ke-gw8zIcA

was able to get out today and test some baits even though it’s back to winter temps here in upstate ny. I made 2 tails out of paint brush bristles. The one is shitty but the 2nd came out a little better I’m really undecided on bristle tales because it seems like everyone’s kinda doing that and I wanted something’s little different but whatever. The two other baits have soft plastic tailss that I hand poured out of a wooden mold I made. Gets the job done but I feel like they keep the bait from have a good action on a straight retrieve. 

I really only had one goal in mind with these baits. To get a good subsurface slashing action and to be able to keep the bait in the strike zone when fishing cover like docks, lay downs and weed edges, pockets. 

The one bait with the long lip really can get down deep and you can keep there and fish it almost like a jerkbait. One bait can stay a few inches under water the whole cast and keep that consistent slashing action. 

2 of the baits have round lips and that may be why they have more action on a straight retrieve than the other two baits which is fine. 

need a warmer day so I can smear some ugly paint jobs on these and get to fishing em’.