How to catch the drops?!

BPayne

Greetings everyone!  I have been bashing my head against the wall trying to get my hands on some quality baits directly from the makers.  Every time I reach out asking, I get the same “I post drops on IG, Facebook, etc….”  Well, there’s a problem with that.  I don’t do the whole social media thing anymore and have no intentions of returning.  So here’s the question, is my situation hopeless without social media or is there some secret sauce I’m missing out on to be on top of things?  I did stumble across a comment here pertaining to the most recent PhoneyFrogs drop and managed to snag one of those, but that was completely by accident.  Any help for a new member would be appreciated!  Cheers!

I'm doubtful of your chances of success. Sometimes guys around here post when DRT baits get dropped (literally, the moment they are available, there's no pre-drop announcement). WCZ has a newsletter that has Mike's drop schedule listed, sign up on the website. Toxic used to do weekly drops on Mondays at roughly the same time, but I don't know what his schedule is like right now. 

I agree with your reasoning to support the bait makers directly, but if you find the bait you want second hand, just buy it. 

Edited by chevro1et

I’m fairly good at drops but rely heavily on social media for info, so if you aren’t there, I would imagine it would be very difficult. Not impossible, but hard.

Makers don’t give the best info, the comment sections are where I usually find details. I’ve had to pay retail+ for many of my baits, just the ways she goes now. 

It’s hard without an Instagram account to stay up to date on drops. That being said, I’ve had more success through friends I’ve made on SU than anything else. I try my best to reciprocate, and there’s certainly some awesome members on here that will post when things are up, but usually by the time you read those posts things are sold out. Make some friends, let them know that you’re interested in certain baits, and just do your best to check sites when you can. 

Thanks for the information and pointers!  I travel internationally a lot with my job so I have a pretty crazy schedule when it comes to these things, so maybe my best bet is to take Whammy’s advice and network with you fine folks and get things worked out.

Anyways, I may as well take the time to introduce myself.  My name is Barton.  I’m from just outside Memphis, TN.  I’ve been fishing my entire life, but just got into the swimbait game about 1 year ago.  I mainly bank and kayak fish, but I do have access to 3 different boats through family members.  I look forward to learning a lot from you all as well as hopefully contributing something to this fine forum!

Get some friends with social media accounts and have thEm keep you in the loop 

I have a close network of guys that always warn each other of the drops or let each other know when things post up. 

i also have a couple guys that we’ll grab baits for each other even if I don’t want that bait I’ll grab it for a buddy. 

has definitely helped. 

or set up an IG account and just follow bait makers and turn on notifications 

I hate social media as well buddy, but its sadly the world and time we live in. Basically free advertising for any bait makers, to post and let people know when their products go on sale. Can't hate on em for using it. I only have a instagram at the moment soley for fishing, and following the baitmakers. Will probably get a Facebook soon for the marketplace aspect begrudgingly. 

I use IG for bait drops and Swimbait content. About everyone I follow other than the actual bait makers are members I’ve met here. No personal friends or family. I occasionally share non bait related images. But I buy, sell and trade baits via IG through guys I know from here often. As some have mentioned, there are some great members here and we help each other out. But most drops are over in seconds. Like sold out as soon as my payment is finished. I can’t give a heads up on random drops. And most are. Also for drops like Lit Lures where the baits appear with random numbers, you have to be on IG to actually buy one. 

I also follow some FB pages that do their drops there. FB is also the only place I have personal friends and family. So if not for the Swimbait community, I wouldn’t have IG. Just my .02

On 1/5/2022 at 9:40 PM, BPayne said:

I don’t do the whole social media thing anymore and have no intentions of returning.  So here’s the question, is my situation hopeless without social media?

Not gonna lie dude....yes. Social media is what you make it. My Instagram account is just fishing. Nothing else. That's all I see on my feed. 

Edited by NEbucketmouth19

Just two cents from someone who, like you, has zero social media presence: I'm a bank fisherman, been in the swimbait game for three seasons now and you will do just fine with no social media. I can't speak to whether you'll ever get the highly sought-after baits as I've never tried a drop, but you'll slay even without those baits. Like @bassbass said, just keep the baits you've got wet and you'll figure em out.

The skinny: don't beat yourself up if you can't get the hype baits, you can still be mad successful without them. 

Good luck and welcome, this community is awesome.

I never did social media before I started swimbaiting. Never cared for it personally 

I only made accts for buy/sell/trade/drops and swimbait information 

If the day should ever come that I quit swimbaiting I'll be on here one last time to sell everything then you'll probably never see me again lol