My next big purchase

Nprokop

Hey SU, this is my first post outside the black market and I need some help on my next boat upgrade. I've been swimbait fishing for almost 2 years now, and I'm obsessed. Just like 95% of us.  Anyway,  I've been working a ton of overtime lately and i got approval from the ol' lady (my wife) to spend some extra $$ soon. I have a 2014 tracker Grizzy John boat, and it's absolutely perfect for my waters here in Nebraska. I'm entertaining the idea of a new trolling motor (ultrex) with spot lock and the whole 9 yards. Or Panoptix... both are relatively close to the same price. I currently have a 55lb thrust power drive. And it's been great for me the last few years. But its slowly going out. The end goal is obviously have both setups, but I need help deciding on which is more important first. Thanks underground 

I see you mentioned your current trolling motor is "slowly going out". Does that mean it's on the verge of failing? If so, I would say go for the trolling motor upgrade if that's the case. Also the obvious reason already stated on the spot lock is extremely beneficial.

The best electronics are of no use if you can't get moving on the water...... Unless you plan paddling that jon boat around.

Edited by Mossyback Angler

Spot lock is pretty dope if you fish offshore structure, for beating the bank you won’t use it much. The part of the ultrex I like the most is networking it with the humminbird graphs on the boat. For future add one they are making a panoptix type product now also, I don’t know anything about it but you can network it all together. I wasn’t sure about that tech but if you listen to the new cast and crank podcast with the dude from 6th sense it makes a lot of sense. 

I fish out of an older 16’ aluminum boat and the best money I have spent on that boat is spot lock. It will allow you fish areas more effectively in the wind with ease. It overall has helped me enjoy the fishing more too.  Find a school of fish, spot lock. Need to retie, spot lock. Just want to sit down and eat lunch, spotlock.

It really shines in any slow fishing situations when you are trying to pick something apart

. I would say spotlock is the single best innovation in bass fishing in the last few decades. It absolutely changes the way you can fish.

I run all Lowrance on my boat and have nothing but great things to say about the Lowrance Ghost. You can also now have Ghost 360 without having to buy a whole separate 360 transducer. Its not as good as Hummingbirds, but its much cheaper.

Ghost  motor + lowrance unit + 3-in-1 nose cone and you'll have spotlock, 360, and down/side scan on the bow. Its pretty sweet. 

But def get the trolling motor upgrade done, its a game changer.

Gotta be strategic on matters of toys, finance and matrimonial bliss.  If the trolling motor is operational but on its last legs then definitely go with the fish finder.  Then when the trolling motor does go out, replacement is more a matter of urgency and wife approval factor comes at a lower cost.  Then you got a new fish finder and trolling motor.  

If you get a new trolling motor and the old fish finder is still working….you’re gettin a new handbag, shoes, Hawaiian vacation before it’s fish finder time :)

the other issue you may have is finding either of the items you want, so it might not be a matter of what you want, it might end up being a matter of what you can find 

i started buying parts for my new boat last summer, so that id have everything for this fall/winter. 

Minn kota TM took 13 weeks to get, lowrance fish finder was like 15-17 weeks, even the deep cycle batteries were an issue (took 3 weeks to find 3 of em) 

like everyone else mentioned I'd go TM especially if the current one is on the fritz

8 minutes ago, chefchris said:

the other issue you may have is finding either of the items you want, so it might not be a matter of what you want, it might end up being a matter of what you can find 

i started buying parts for my new boat last summer, so that id have everything for this fall/winter. 

Minn kota TM took 13 weeks to get, lowrance fish finder was like 15-17 weeks, even the deep cycle batteries were an issue (took 3 weeks to find 3 of em) 

like everyone else mentioned I'd go TM especially if the current one is on the fritz

What Lowrance unit took four months?? And old Carbon HDS?

So many options haha. Thanks for all the responses SU. My current TM works... but is very noisy.. I've used it pretty hard for about 4 years now. Power is not what it use to be. That being said, it will last me another season. No doubt. (Fingers crossed)   The lakes in my area aren't big at all. 98% of them are no wake too.  I know my high percentage areas that produce the most, so I don't know if the fish finder is quite priority yet. Spotlock sure sounds like a game changer tho. Just trying to get the most bang out of my buck.

if your rich and money is not an issue, get the one with all the trinkets and doodads. If your budget minded scroll offer up and other for sale places in your area for a good deal on something used. I got a $1200 trolling motor for $300 used and didnt even have a scratch on it.

People say over size the trolling motor..i dont agree 100% with that. Oversized to a point you dont add additional batteries or additional wiring etc. Oversized wiring should be ran regardless!

Edited by Jinxd12