Best Entry Level Rats?

Craigjc00

If you mean cheap as far as entry level goes, I’d say a Spro 50 rat. They’re inexpensive ($20-30 in the BM), have a nice knock, and straight up get chewed. Other cheaper rats to look at would be like G-ratts, Trapbass, bullrat, and rago. There’s a thousand others I could mention. You can find rats at any price range just about, and they all pretty much do the same thing… catch fish! 

50 minutes ago, BayAreaAngler said:

First and foremost what won’t break the bank for you? Secondly do you prefer single piece rats, 2 piece, 3 piece etc? And lastly what are you throwing on? This all plays a role lol. 

Well I have a stupid collection of rods and reels. I have a bunch of the Irod swimbait rods, Megabass, and Leviathian's  that can handle anything from 2 - 6oz. Honestly I have never thrown a rat before so I have no preference at this point. I have watched enough YouTube videos to now be confused lol! I know if this world you can spend some serious cash on swimbaits and I am sure some are worth it but there is not as much info around on rats. I greatly appreciate the advice!

If you want to start off right I’d buy a spro like some previously stated. If you want better quality and something that’ll LAST I’d say pick up a 1 or 2 piece from @SacPig916  he also has been sharing another companies smaller sized rat. Not sure the price on em though. Good luck with your rat journey.

Least costly but get bit would be the Spro 50 and Bullrat. I'm partial to wooden baits so i like to fish the WSB 125 and the Morning Wood 2 pc. 5". On a side note my PB came on the Spro 50. Baby Possum is a cool bait. 

On 4/11/2022 at 9:19 AM, xSoCalBassKingx said:

Woodrow is absolutely fire as well. Definitely an overlooked bait

Dumped a BIG on the Woodrow on Sunday morning, first time throwing topwater this season. Impressed right off the bat, gonna be hard for me to throw much else for topwater for the rest of the season haha.