Advice on Hudd type baits

flaswimbaiter

What about 6" hudds and 6" weedless hudds? Do they have more action? I did notice this one was only a thump thump of the tail and that is about it. In the stained water I fish I need to get some attention.

I think that thump, thump of the tail that you talk about is a plus in stained water just try a little scent for confidence and keep throwing.

A bait like that that thumps is what im looking for, but then again who am i. Im supposed to be fishing the underground tourney and im sitting behind the computer waiting to take my kids to school :roll:

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What about retrieves guys??? Can you deadstick this bait like a soft plastic or should you keep it moving? It wobbles nice on the drop, ever get any bites while on the drop?

David your waters pretty much look like mine, that being said if your not chucking a Hudd I recommend picking up a few, I try to stay more natural colors to my waters, silver/black, silver/green. Slow and steady on the retreive, if you think your going slow enough, slow it down some more. Feel the bait working on the bottom. I have a couple of the plain 6inch hudds, but really liking these 68s. Put some stink on it and start chucking. You can use the stock hooks, but most rig them other ways. For the 6inch hudds, I'll rig them like Don does, 8inch like Butch. Find what works best for you.

... For the 6inch hudds, I'll rig them like Don does,...

Hate to hijack the post but how does Don rig a 6" Hudd?

HAHA! I rig mine (6" and 8" ) just how they come out of the pack. The only thing I do is open the jig hook a little so it's no longer pointing down into the bait. That's it. Any other rig ( head hook) is not used very often.

I also fish the bait the same in clear or muddy water ;)

HAHA! I rig mine (6" and 8" ) just how they come out of the pack. The only thing I do is open the jig hook a little so it's no longer pointing down into the bait. That's it. Any other rig ( head hook) is not used very often.

I understand keeping the jig hook on the 6" hudd, as its not a very large bait and doesnt provide leverage for the fish to throw the hook. But why keep the jig hook on the 8' hudd? Do you think it makes a difference in the rigging for the 8" or is it an extra precaution with the butch brown/fish chris type rigging? I dont fish the 8" and am just curious.

I thought I had a couple in my truck(At work as usual) but heres a pic I found, I remember reading that story and I rigged them like that ever since, I also use these baits in the salt, which usually the fish Im chasing have a smaller mouth so the stinger works wonders. Unless I'm mistaken, but Im pretty sure that was you Don :lol:

photo-37.jpg

Yes, I did rig them this way for a while. I did hit some fish on it also. But it seemed the head hook was what was sticking them anyway. Now If I use another rig I just use a head hook. However I seem to still get them just fine with just a jig hook. It comes free easy when snagged too. I went through some rigs but after a while it just seemed two hooks were over kill (for me). I use very stiff rods, I drag the fish to the boat. I try my best to not let the fish fight other then it shaking it's head. Even then it doesn't shake much because I just keep dragging it in. You drag them in and get one chance at the boat sometimes. Again I just feel when they take it they take it. Just like ANY bait sometimes you miss a hit. We are fishing for fish that just don't get caught much. One hook is enough for me. I would have to miss a lot of fish to change things again. I'm happy with what I get. If something works for you, why change? It's also about confidence. Ideas help some, they also change in time. ;)

I hear you Don, I completely agree. This rig works great for me, I mostly fish for trophy Specks, Southeast Coast guys know what im talking about, they have a softer smaller mouth and this rig gets them for me. Either way thanks for the rig setup 8-)

I rig the six inch baits and eight inch baits with leader/ treble setups to make getting the baits back easier without disturbing the spot. I use lighter line on the treble then the main line so I can just back away and break it off and still get my bait back . I could use a knocker but that usually means disturbing the spot more by putting the boat over where I am fishing.