Kayak vs Boat - Easy, Normal or Hard Mode?

frankthedog

Getting out tomorrow in a Jon boat for the first time in a long while.

So far have only fished swimbaits outta my yak...pretty stoked to try it out and see the difference being able to stand up.

Is fishing swimbaits out of a yak vs a boat much more difficult? 

I imagine being able to see the baits better and having more hook set power standing up in the boat.

Thoughts from the experienced?

I stand in my kayak just fine, it is more stable than a Jon boat, there is a big difference between a $200-$500 cheap kayak from the big box stores and a purpose built fishing kayak like a Native or a Hobie. No problem swimbait fishing from the kayak. 

In the past few years I’ve done a lot of fishing out of my Hobie Outback but loading it on the roof rack and getting it set up is starting to get old. I’m seriously considering a customized Jon boat - I can leave all my gear on the boat back up to the ramp and be fishing in a few minutes.  

in a Jon boat with a raised deck I can cast 360 degrees around me, get more precise boat positioning with a trolling motor.

The yak does have its advantages as I can get to parts of the lake that most boaters can’t and I’d def keep it for my river trips. 

3A76E2C8-5D12-40C4-B8C5-432386CE6EF3.jpeg

0F8E1724-F141-4E7B-A220-0A4FA0E18D24.jpeg

I have done all three. Started with a Hobie PA12, then 17ft procraft and 14ft jon boat. I think each has it advantages. Also what kind of kayak, jon boat, and bass boat can make a huge difference. I think things like your living situation as far as storage, maybe vehicle for towing, the waters you fish, how much your willing to spend will drive what you choose to get. If I had to choose the order Bass Boat, Jon Boat, and then Kayak. 

There are dink bass and there are dink kayaks.  I have fished out of numerous brands and models of kayaks and can stand and fish out of my Jackson Bite nearly as easily as my Bass Tracker 185.  In my opinion, bass and baitfish do not react negatively to a kayak the way they do towards a full sized boat.  I regularly have fish eat a bait 5 feet from the yak but not nearly as frequently in the boat.  Long casts in the boat are more necessary by me.  Good luck tomorrow!

7 minutes ago, BoatSquirrel said:

There are dink bass and there are dink kayaks.  I have fished out of numerous brands and models of kayaks and can stand and fish out of my Jackson Bite nearly as easily as my Bass Tracker 185.  In my opinion, bass and baitfish do not react negatively to a kayak the way they do towards a full sized boat.  I regularly have fish eat a bait 5 feet from the yak but not nearly as frequently in the boat.  Long casts in the boat are more necessary by me.  Good luck tomorrow!

I would agree that you will experience more bites right up next to your kayak even standing up. Also when people say that the color of the kayak doesn't matter they're flat out wrong, brown or dark green kayaks are the best hands down. The bright orange, blue, and white ones tend to scare fish in my experience. I had a 7-8 hot on my deps once while I was in a canoe and the second it saw my canoe which was aluminum and hidden behind a tree until the fish got close it bounced, this fish was one or two twitches away from eating.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/25/2022 at 11:20 AM, BoatSquirrel said:

I have the same boat and love it. 

Having the right yak is the real difference. I have a cheap Walmart sit on and love it! I have a trolling motor with a big battery, portable fishfinder, and can stand up and fish with ease all day. Throws right in the back of my car easily and it’s a 12’ 6” yak. 

• 5 weeks later...

I got a Hobie pa14, I wish I would have saved the money and dropped it on a decked out aluminum boat. If I was to get a kayak again, I would put a trolling motor on it. But again at that point you’re dropping enough money to just get a little boat that’s more stable and more space. 

Kayaks bob around a lot and absorb impact of hookset; you may want to take it easy on hookset and possibly size up line if you’re used to fishing on kayak. 

I've been between the kayak and big bass boat since I started. Kayak for smaller places with cartop launch or no launch. Or for night fishing 

I prefer the big boat for big water or anytime the wind is blowing

I find that in the boat I'm less focused on fishing, and more looking at the screens, trying not to bump into stuff, etc